Reflecting on the Benefits of a LinkedIn Profile

Creating a LinkedIn Profile was an excellent activity for learning how to communicate effectively in a professional setting. Social media is typically used informally amongst friends and family.  LinkedIn, however, requires a more technical and professional approach to writing. Therefore, learning how to write in these environments is a great activity for building career skills. Through developing a profile, I was also able to learn more about the usefulness of the platform in both gathering and creating content that is relevant to my career path.

On the other hand, creating a report proposal/outline was useful for learning about the essentials of an effective report. I have learned that reports are typically intended for an audience with adequate technical understanding to follow the argument presented in the report. Therefore, lengthy and wordy paragraphs detract from the clarity of the report. In order to create a successful report, it is important to be as direct as possible; to communicate the issue at hand and to lay out the problems associated with it in a concise way. The next steps for my report are to acquire research to strengthen my argument. I look forward to this opportunity.

Last but not least, the peer review portion for this unit was both informative and helpful. I was able to learn more about the weaknesses of my own writing style with actionable ways in which to improve upon them. Going forward, however, I would like to improve upon my own peer reviewing skills. I find that the reviews I receive are far more detailed and informative than the reviews that I give out. Providing effective peer review’s will be one of my goals for the rest of the semester.

Formal Report Progress Report