AERA 2001 Paper on ePortfolios: “I Just Did It To Get It Done – The Transformation of Intentions in Portfolio Assessment in Teacher Education”

Trolling around on a Sunday as usual, following a link from Ray Schroeder to the PT3 site, I came across the PT3 e-Portfolio site:

E-Portfolios – the eportfolio description is a nice, concise one…

A gem linked from the Houston Independent School District e-portfolio project site at Rice University , specifically, their Action Plan page, is a paper from the 2001 AERA conference. The paper,

“I Just Did It To Get It Done – The Transformation of Intentions in Portfolio Assessment in Teacher Education”,

by Peggy Placier, Kathleen Fitzgerald, Peter M. Hall of University of Missouri-Columbia digs into a complex issue:

This study portrays the complex process of adoption of a new cultural tool, the electronic portfolio, in the context of a teacher education program in the throes of internal restructuring and external political pressure.”

This paper provides some good context and detail from both student and faculty perspective, as well, at least to me, serves as a cautionary note for those getting into e-portfolios — make sure that teaching and learning needs of the students (portfolio owners) is what drives your initiatives …. or the results may not be as satisfactory as you hope….

http://www.coe.missouri.edu/~sti/papers/AERA2001/portfolio.pdf

This entry was posted in Electronic Portfolios. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to AERA 2001 Paper on ePortfolios: “I Just Did It To Get It Done – The Transformation of Intentions in Portfolio Assessment in Teacher Education”

1. Jeremy says:

Oooh, that is a gem. Captures many of the issues touched on at the Lifia conference…thanks for sharing.