Practicum

During my time in the Teacher Education Program at the University of British Columbia I was allowed to visit a variety of schools in the Richmond and Vancouver area. For my Pre-Practicum I had the opportunity to meet with fellow educators at the following schools:

●   Henry James Cambie Secondary School in the East Richmond neighborhood of Richmond,

●   Prince of Whales Secondary School in the Shaughnessy neighborhood of Vancouver,

●   Kilarney Secondary School in the Kilarney neighborhood of Vancouver and

●   Magee Secondary School in the Kerrisdale neighborhood of Vancouver.

Exposure to a variety of schools allowed me to understand better the diversity of conditions, needs and expectations that are built upon the foundation of our education system—ethnic backgrounds, class sizes, class composition, special needs and extra-curricular events and programs.

The bulk of my practicum was spent at Gladstone Secondary and David Thompson Secondary in the Fraserview neighborhood of Vancouver. I spent one year at Gladstone Secondary and a total of 13 weeks at David Thompson. During that time I was privileged to log hours of hours of instruction time in the classroom and interact with the community there by way of volunteering in extra-curricular clubs and events.

The following pictures correspond to my time spent at these schools. All in all, the experiences rendered during my practicum have been valuable in shaping my outlook of the profession of teaching through the provision of a solid foundation of what is to come in my future.