Resources

Gear

Not the most exciting of topics, but just to give a general sense of the environment I’m developing in as a point of reference:

VR Development Platform: Unity

Though by no means the only way to create VR apps, Unity is a free (provided that your fledgling VR efforts don’t rake in more than $100,000 in annual revenues) and widely used game development platform with extensive documentation and numerous tutorials available.

VR Build Platform: Google Daydream with Daydream View headset and Samsung S8+ phone running Android Nougat 7.0

There’s a wide variety of headsets, hardware and platforms out there to run VR applications, so I’ll spare you the gruesome details of how I arrived at my particular configuration of stuff. To summarize, the above platform represents a decision to avoid the expense of the higher-end consumer VR systems while still allowing for greater functionality than the controller-less Google Cardboard. I chose the Samsung phone (as a replacement for my archaic, non-VR compatible iPhone 4) because it works with both Daydream and Samsung’s Gear VR (as well as Google Cardboard) in case I want to switch things up in the future.

Computer Doing the Grunt Work: Asus laptop running Windows 10 home

Nuthin’ fancy – I built the prototypes on my 6-month old laptop. I won’t get into the nitty-gritties of its tech specs (Intel i7-7500U processor, 16GB RAM, etc.) – the point is that there’s no need for sophisticated kit to develop in VR.

Standard