Hello Class of 2020! My name is Michelle Perini, and I am the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) Representative on the Allard Law Careers Committee.

While there are certainly an abundance of resources available to support you in your transition to becoming a law student, one particular program that I whole heartedly believe every student should embrace is the CBA Mentorship program. Each year, in coordination with Allard Law’s Career Services Office and the Canadian Bar Association, students are matched with mentors from the BC Legal Community. This is your opportunity to be matched one-on-one with a legal professional who will mentor you through your law school experience and who is personally invested in you: your transition, your development as a young professional, and your well-being.

This year, we’re looking forward to including practicing lawyers from large, mid-sized and small firms, criminal defense, immigration, Aboriginal, employment and entertainment lawyers, lawyers from the Department of Justice and Ministry of Justice, non-traditional lawyers, recruiters, and members of the judiciary! Whether its lunch or coffee dates that work with your schedule, accompanying your mentor to court, or being invited to professional development programming with your mentor’s firm, students and lawyers are encouraged to find a unique mentee-mentor relationship that works for them.

I have had such a positive experience, and I cannot tell you enough how valuable the mentorship program is. I hope each and every one of you will take advantage of this unique opportunity this coming fall. Stay tuned for more information about signing up for the CBA and the CBA Mentorship program during Orientation!

If you have any questions about mentorship in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to e-mail me at ubcmentorship@cbabc.org. For now, enjoy your summer and get ready for law school being just around the corner. If your experience is anything like mine, you’re in for an incredible year!