One of my first experiences as a part of this law school was Hoop-Law. At the welcome reception way back when I was still a 0L, two very excited and eager Allard Ambassadors that I had never met before came up and “begged” me to join the team – probably because they recognized my superior athletic build (later I found out they asked everyone and I was not nearly as special as I thought I was – story of my life). But this is where my integration into the Allard community began.

The event itself: Hoop-Law is a one day charity basketball tournament to raise money for children in need living in our community. It is the biggest charity event for the legal profession in Western Canada with over 25 law firms and over 250 lawyers/law students in participation each year. UBC, UVic and TRU all send teams. Last year we raised over $70,000 for three different causes – The Children’s Hearing and Speech Centre BC, Night Hoops, and Challenger Baseball Canada.

This is one of the first major events that a student can become a part of. By putting my name on Mischa’s wrinkled up piece of lined paper I got to be a part of the Allard team. Even though I wasn’t very good, can’t run very fast, and not particularly interested in playing defence, I was in! I got to meet the 2Ls and 3Ls on the team and very quickly I discovered that the Allard Competitive Basketball Team wasn’t very competitive. We scored 12 points one game though which was and still is a big deal!

The team: Allard sends two teams to the big dance. A competitive team that isn’t very competitive and a just for fun team that has a lot of fun. Both teams are co-ed and previous basketball experience is not required or much desired. Also! A huge and integral part of the team are the volunteers. If you have no desire to break a sweat or lose in humiliation to a bunch of lawyers much older than you, that really have no business besting you in a competition of athletic prowess, then you can still be a part of the team by volunteering to score keep, serve food, bartend or act as security ect. The perks of being a volunteer means you still get to join in on the after-party fun, meet the students of the school and begin doing some light networking with firms as they inevitably beat us down so bad that you start cheering for them instead.

By being a part of Hoop-Law, I had the opportunity to meet some of the student leaders at the school very early on which looking back now, was a huge benefit and asset to my 1L experience.

That one game where we scored a whole 6 points!

This year the tournament is being held on September 9th, 2017 at the Richmond Oval. If you are interested in joining the team either as a player or volunteer please shoot me an email at: students@ubclss.com. Yes, I have become the eager Ambassador.