About

Phaidra Ruck is a new humanities teacher at the Canadian International School Guangxi, Gaojie, in Nanning, China. This e-folio houses samples of her favourite work and reflections en route to teaching secondary social studies in the UBC Bachelor of Education program. Is is apt to call this a study of artography – art, research, and teaching, as described by the poetry of Carl Leggo.  An ongoing work in progress.

about.me/phaidra

phaidra.ruck@gmail.com

From Scribbles & Scrolls

Hi there!

My name is Phaidra Alisha Ruck.  I am a Canadian secondary social studies student teacher, on a mission to stay organized while building a teaching resource base and archive.

As I am learning to turn my knowledge-base into something I’m able to translate, this site may change between visits as I tweak it to my liking.

I am interested in all kinds of history and literature  from around the world. I’m the kind of person that marvels at stuff in a thrift store, looks up at funny angles on the sidewalk to see what old architecture hides behind the new, I love a museum audio-guide, and I cannot resist looking at boxes on the sidewalk as offerings from the universe.  I’ll take a different way back than the way I came just to see something new.  At night, I always have a novel on the go.

My teaching style stems from my formal theatre training, curiousity in history, and passion for creative ways of knowing. I believe there is ‘something for everyone’ in historical studies which can be a springboard to building skills for life-long learning and a successful professional career.

In my spare time, I plan on travelling to the world’s ancient sites, listening to the ever-expanding vinyl collection at home, and updating my undergraduate honours thesis on on contemporary & corporate history.  I would also like to write a story of my family history in Canada.