Week 4: Independence Narratives: Past & Present

I loved the readings this week.
It seemed like Latin American countries were for the most part, itching for independence- but didn’t quite know how to go after it. Then, Simon Bolivar appears, and makes some big moves to start to gain and demand independence in Latin America.
I think by Bolivar’s time, the lines had blurred between Spanish/European identity and Latin American identity. In his Letter from Jamaica, Bolivar is reminding himself and his people, that Spain has been unjust, and just because Spain has been the most powerful force in Latin America for centuries, doesn’t mean that it has to continue that way. I like when he refers to Spain as Latin America’s “unnatural stepmother,” as it really highlights this idea, and empowers Latin America to break free.
Bolivar’s resilience and bravery shaped Latin America in a big way. He was only 27 years old when he began to lead uprisings against the Spanish rule. What really stood out to me about the story of Bolivar was how many times he was almost defeated, and how each time, he would return and fight again. Through this stubbornness and desire for independence- Bolivar was able to achieve so much in a relatively short time. Bolivar also started the movement to abolish slavery, starting with his own slaves- Which could arguably be one of the most important endeavors Bolivar undertook- In my opinion.
After learning more about Simon Bolivar, it makes perfect sense to me why he is celebrated and loved throughout Latin America.

It is very clear to me why the textbook contrasts Bolivar’s Letter From Jamaica, with Hugo Chavez’ speech in 2004.

While Chavez lived in a much more distant time than Bolivar, his vision for Latin America remained very much the same. In reading his speech, and doing some brief further research, I find Hugo Chavez to be an incredibly inspirational political leader. Chavez wasn’t afraid to GET REAL with his message, or to ruffle some feathers, and he demanded equality for not only just his people, but for oppressed people all over the globe. It is rare to see such a firecracker politician who isn’t animated because he is trying to push some type of political propaganda… but he was animated because he was legitimately enraged by the unfairness shown to his nation- and was legitimately passionate about working towards a brighter future for all human beings on earth. That is pretty great.

Just like any other nation on earth, Latin American countries still have (in some ways) much progressing to do- But with leaders like Bolivar and recent leader’s like Chavez, at least the dream of Latin America as an independent and thriving region, continues to live on, and people will continue to fight for it.