Reflecting on “This Time of the Doves” by Merce Rodoreda

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great reading break. 

The first thing I want to point out is the complexity of Natalia’s character and her exploration of love, loss, and resilience. Like many characters we encountered so far, she remains relatable despite the extreme circumstances she goes through. Natalia’s transformation throughout the story is definitely the one aspect that struck me. Her journey from a naive young woman to a survivor of war and personal tragedy is both inspiring and devastating. Rodoreda’s portrayal of Natalia’s life is a powerful commentary on resilience and since the story is told from Natala’s perspective, this character development is vividly illustrated. I feel that many of war stories are often told from the male perspective so it was refreshing that the novel shed light on the feminine experience during times of war. Natalia’s struggles as a mother and a woman in a war-torn society are a testament to the untold stories of countless women who have endured similar hardships.

I really liked Rodoreda’s style of using imagery and stream of consciousness. Even though I was reading the book in a hurry, I was able to immerse myself in the story thanks to the writing style that draws the reader into Natalia’s experience. I also liked the lack of dialogue and the entire flow of the novel. I think it really highlighted the emotions of Natalia. The portrayal of Quimet and Natalia’s relationship with him is intriguing. The way he controls Natalia’s life while being charismatic really reflects the complexities of their relationship, and perhaps relationships in general. His death, while bringing a sense of relief, also leaves a profound impact on Natalia, highlighting the intricate dynamics of love and dependency.

“The Time of the Doves” is a beautifully written and also emotionally charged novel. Rodoreda’s writing and the character of Natalia really added depth to the story. I really liked the title of the book also. I think “Doves” took a more symbolic meaning as the story progressed, representing the entrapment and loss of freedom Natalia experiences in her marriage and the broader context of war.

Discussion Question: How does Rodoreda’s portrayal of Natalia challenge or reinforce traditional notions of femininity

6 thoughts on “Reflecting on “This Time of the Doves” by Merce Rodoreda

1. Jon

“I also liked the lack of dialogue”

I’m not sure I understand this… there seems to me to be plenty of dialogue.

“I really liked the title of the book also”

As I mention in my lecture, this is one of three translations of the title into English. (It’s also far from being a literal or faithful translation of the original Catalan title.) What do you think are the implications of the other two?

More generally, your comments are quite abstract and unspecific. Can you give examples of, for instance, Rodoreda’s use of “imagery and stream of consciousness”?

2. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

“I feel that many of war stories are often told from the male perspective so it was refreshing that the novel shed light on the feminine experience during times of war. ” Thanks to your blog, I now wonder if all stories that take place during times of war are war stories. For example, do you think of any other novel with which you can compare this work by Rodoreda? Does the male gaze have a different way of narrating the Spanish Civil War? How would it be? And in contrast, could you mention a specific passage where you clearly notice that difference?

3. Jonathan Xu

Hi Ren,

To answer your question, I think that Rodoreda’s portrayal of Natalia actually does not challenge or reinforce traditional notion of femininity. Rather, it gives us a window of what it was like to be a woman in the past, a perspective of a past life. For us as the reader, we might have our own thoughts on the circumstances of women back then, but the author herself just gives us a story.

4. Hailey

Hi Ren! In response to your question, I also find Natalia to be a complex and interesting character but I don’t necessarily think she challenges the traditional notion of femininity. One of the things that really jumped out at me throughout this text was the role she was sort of forced into by Quimet as his wife. She seemed to exist under his oppressive behaviour but to me, the story didn’t necessarily emphasize any attempt to change any narratives concerning femininity. I think that it was rather more of a text that focused on the challenges faced by people whose lives are shattered by war, more so than gender roles.

5. Domenica Loor

Hi Ren, I’d say Rodoreda’s portrayal of Natalia reinforces traditional notions of femininity because it portrays a woman who is oppressed and restrained by traditional gender norms. How she is constantly defined and encapsulated because of her gender. The notion that this is a depiction of traditional gender roles is what allows for the dynamic between Natalia and Quimet to unfold as well as to give a true context of the war, where men were in power and went out to fight.

6. Alexandra MacPhee

I agree! Natalia’s character maintains a relatable quality throughout the novel, which reminds me of the experience I had reading Bombal’s book, even though they were still very different. You bring up a good point that reading about a women’s point of view, during times of the war, adds depth and authenticity to the portrayal of wartime experiences and sheds light on the often overlooked perspective of a women and challenged faced by them these times.I agree! Natalia’s character maintains a relatable quality throughout the novel, which reminds me of the experience I had reading Bombal’s book, even though they were still very different. You bring up a good point that reading about a women’s point of view, during times of the war, adds depth and authenticity to the portrayal of wartime experiences and sheds light on the often overlooked perspective of a women and challenged faced by them these times.