Concluding Blog Post

I can’t believe this is already the final week of the semester. I feel like my term went by so quickly. With that being said, looking back on my first Romance Studies class, I’m glad that I was able to encounter many books that I would have never put my hands on otherwise. Although I can’t say I understood all the books, this class has definitely expanded my horizons as a reader. Before this class, I was really familiar with the cultures of the Romance world. I liked that the reading list offered a variety of literature that takes place in various cultures, times, and places. All the books I have read had at least some elements of fiction, but they also drew on important cultural and historical contexts such as the impact of war in “The Time of The Doves” or the real robbery that inspired “Money to Burn”. Each book offered a window into the complexities of the human heart, woven into the fabric of their respective cultures. The course structure was unique and refreshing. The combination of the lecture videos, blog posts, and discussion class made sure that I was able to look at the book from multiple different perspectives. I might read the text only once, but I feel like the course structure encouraged a deeper engagement with the text. Hearing different opinions and interpretations in the discussion class made me realize the nuances that each author brings to their narrative, flow of writing, etc. There were many occasions when classmates(or the professor) said something that I would never thought about myself. I am grateful for the books that I’ve read, the discussions we have had, and the opportunity to delve into the world of romance literature. This course was refreshing also because it was like a nice break from reading all the academic articles and stuff. I haven’t interacted much with creative literature since high school English, so it was fun (and sometimes confusing) to encounter all the creative expressions, syntax, narrative structure and so on. This class was a reminder of the richness and variety of creative literature. I probably won’t read Romance literature during my free time, to be honest, but the class definitely motivated me to go back into reading books. What was the hardest book you have encountered in this course and why? Also, did you dislike it because it was hard? or did you like it?

6 thoughts on “Concluding Blog Post

1. Finnegan McBride

Thanks for your post. I too found the course structure unique and refreshing. This was my first time ever encountering contract grading, and I quite liked the experience. To answer the question you pose at the end, the hardest text for me was Combray, but I felt my effort was rewarded so I didn’t dislike it.

2. Jon

Ren, I’m glad you enjoyed the course! I’m pleased that it helped expand your horizons as a reader.

Thanks for all your contributions, and have a great summer!

3. Marcus

Hi Ren, the hardest book I read in this course was probably Combray but maybe it was because it was the first book we read in the class. I also did not enjoy it very much. I’m not sure the difficulty made me dislike it though, since I enjoyed reading Faces In The Crowd and thought it was also a pretty difficult read aswell.

4. ximena avendano castillo

Hey Ren, for me the hardest book was “Combray” by Proust, and I think I didn’t love it because I wasn’t used to reading books like that for a class, and analyze them and focus on the little things, however, I think now I would enjoy it more after this course

5. Sofia Almerling

Hi Ren, The hardest book for me to read was “Combray” by Proust as it was the first book we were reading, I was slowly getting back into reading before this course however this book was the most challenging for me because of the long sentences and for me it was a bit confusing.
    -Sofia Almerling

6. Julia Moniz-Lecce

Hi Ren! Great post! The hardest book for me to read this semester was Combray, mostly because it just couldn’t keep my attention. In terms of actual content, I would say Faces in the Crowd was pretty challenging for me. In both instances though chatting with classmates and reading blog posts helped piece things together for me a lot.