Reflecting on “Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector

The novel “Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector was a new and unique literature experience for me simply because I have never seen any book with that kind of unconventional narrative and storytelling. The story of Macabea is told from the perspective of Rodrigo S.M who himself is “one of the more important”(5) characters in the story. I feel like stories that are told from a third-person perspective often either have a narrating character who interacts with other characters or a narrator who is omnipotent and knows everything. It was really interesting to encounter a narrating character who is somewhat separated from the main story of the protagonist but has limited knowledge of what is going to happen in the story. The narrative is basically a monologue of Rodrigo SM. Unlike some of the books we have encountered so far, I feel like the narration of Rodrigo SM is really committed to describing things as is, a raw “state of being” in Macabea’s life. As Rodrigo SM mentions, “this story has no technique, nor style, it lives from hand to mouth”(28). Rodrigo’s narrative is a blend of detachment and deep empathy, which adds a layer of complexity to Macabéa’s character. He keeps calling her “dumb”, “ugly”, “idiot” and so on but also he says “only I, her author, love her”(19). He describes the brutal socioeconomic realities Macabea faces that make her dumb and ugly and gives a voice to the impoverished, or “the right to scream” which is one of the discarded titles Lispector provides. It’s as if Lispector is asking us to question not just the story, but the way stories are told and who gets to tell them.

I believe different titles provided at the beginning of the book represent different interpretations of the book and its storytelling. I think the title “hour of the star” really highlights the unsettling end to the story where Macabea finally gets the time to shine upon embracing death, which Rodrigo says is his “favourite character” in the story. I don’t know if death was the only salvation for Macabea but Rodrygo seems to believe that it was a good thing. The very first line of the book says “All the world began with a yes. One molecule said yes to another molecule and life was born”(3) and the story ends with “Yes”(76), as if to say the end of the story is also a beginning. I also liked the alternative title: “the right to scream” which I interpreted as giving a voice and opportunities to tell stories for those who never get attention in society. This seems like one of the central themes of the book. Macabea does not just represent her life but many others who experience similar suffering. 

Discussion Question: How does the unconventional narrative style of “Hour of the Star” affect our understanding and empathy towards Macabéa’s character?

5 thoughts on “Reflecting on “Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector

1. Jon

” It was really interesting to encounter a narrating character who is somewhat separated from the main story of the protagonist but has limited knowledge of what is going to happen in the story.”

Yes. At times it’s as though he is weighing up the possibilities for the story, and where he might take it, and at times it’s as though he were as interested as we are to see where it may go.

2. Domenica Loor

Hey! I thought the unconventional narrative style of the text did affect our understanding and empathy towards Macabea. I’d say it was a really big driving force to how the plot proceeded. Since the beginning, the story was under the hands of Rodrigo, something he explicitly indicated and even questioned the effectiveness of. I’d say as the story of Macabea proceeds, it really is up to the narrator to delineate who Macabea was, and I believe the combination of it being from a third person allowed for us to note some ideas and environments that perhaps we would’ve not understood under Macabea’s perspective.

3. Gabriella Desire

Hi! To answer your question, for me since Rodrigo is controlling the narrative and what and how much we know about Macabéas character, it really changes our perspective of her. Seeing beyond what an author has written about a character is not something most people do, so Rodrigo’s perspective really influences how we see Macabéa. I will say however that since we know Rodrigo is not the real author and rather the narrator, it did make me reconsider Macabéa’s character and how Clarice might have seen her.

4. Jivan Cheema

Hi Ren!

I loved reading you reflection on this weeks novel! And I definitely agree with what you are saying. Your discussion question intrigues me as that was a main focus of my blog this week. How the narration/style of narrating affects our understanding towards Macabéa’s character. I think we must take into account that we have one character narrating the life of another, therefore, the narration may not be fully accurate. We might be reading through a skewed lens, as Rodrigo may knowingly or unknowingly be projecting his own views and biases onto Macabéa’s life.

Great blog! See you in class 🙂

5. Gabby

Ren I totally agree with your point about the rawness of the narrative. Rodrigo wasn’t shying away from the clean cut facts, despite his horrible behaviour…