Concluding Blog Post

I can’t believe this is already the final week of the semester. I feel like my term went by so quickly. With that being said, looking back on my first Romance Studies class, I’m glad that I was able to encounter many books that I would have never put my hands on otherwise. Although I can’t say I understood all the books, this class has definitely expanded my horizons as a reader. Before this class, I was really familiar with the cultures of the Romance world. I liked that the reading list offered a variety of literature that takes place in various cultures, times, and places. All the books I have read had at least some elements of fiction, but they also drew on important cultural and historical contexts such as the impact of war in “The Time of The Doves” or the real robbery that inspired “Money to Burn”. Each book offered a window into the complexities of the human heart, woven into the fabric of their respective cultures. The course structure was unique and refreshing. The combination of the lecture videos, blog posts, and discussion class made sure that I was able to look at the book from multiple different perspectives. I might read the text only once, but I feel like the course structure encouraged a deeper engagement with the text. Hearing different opinions and interpretations in the discussion class made me realize the nuances that each author brings to their narrative, flow of writing, etc. There were many occasions when classmates(or the professor) said something that I would never thought about myself. I am grateful for the books that I’ve read, the discussions we have had, and the opportunity to delve into the world of romance literature. This course was refreshing also because it was like a nice break from reading all the academic articles and stuff. I haven’t interacted much with creative literature since high school English, so it was fun (and sometimes confusing) to encounter all the creative expressions, syntax, narrative structure and so on. This class was a reminder of the richness and variety of creative literature. I probably won’t read Romance literature during my free time, to be honest, but the class definitely motivated me to go back into reading books. What was the hardest book you have encountered in this course and why? Also, did you dislike it because it was hard? or did you like it?

Reflection on “Faces in the Crowd” by Valeria Luiselli

“Faces in the Crowd” by Valeria Luiselli was definitely a difficult book to follow because of the narratives that uniquely intertwine with each other through different time, space, and vagueness between reality and fiction. This narrative structure deviated from providing a straightforward plot and offered an experience where readers are piecing together various fragments of memories and creative imaginations. The unnamed protagonist, a young mother and writer living in Mexico City, reminisces about her past life in New York which was filled with excitement and social interactions. She is also obsessed with Gilberto Owen who is a Mexican Poet from the 1920s. The narrative frequently shifts between her present life, her past life in New York, and her imagined connection with Owen. As a result, it becomes pretty hard to follow what is going on with the story in a linear fashion, and perhaps it is done on purpose. 

The fragmented narrative also reflects the protagonist’s internal struggle between being a writer and a mother/wife. Her desire for creative expression is constantly compromised by the demands of daily life(in her current life). The only time she can write is when her baby is asleep, and even then, she needs to be really careful so that the baby doesn’t wake up and start crying. She mentions “Novels need a sustained breath… I have a baby and a boy. They don’t let me breathe. Everything I write is—has to be—in short bursts. I’m short of breath”. The perpetual contrast between different lifestyles of the present and past emphasizes the mundane nature of her life now compared to the stimulating life she had in New York. 

The use of the subway as a setting is also an element that ties the different narratives together. In the subway, Owen spots the woman in the red coat who is supposedly the protagonist. Whether this is real or not, the subway functions as a space where different narrators/storylines intersect momentarily, where the boundaries between the living and the dead, the past and the present, blur. Such a point of contact was kind of mysterious and confusing, but again, I guess this was deliberately done. I also think the subway as a place represents the temporary and unstable nature of our lives. People constantly drift in and out of the subway and our lives are also in constant motion like the subway. 

Regarding the book’s metafictional nature, I remember “Hours of the Star” also had a lot of meta reflection within the novel. I feel like in “Hours of the Star”, the narrator talked a lot about the limits of the narrative and storytelling. In contrast, I think this novel illustrates how free the narrative and storytelling can be. The novel mentions a lot about the exciting yet demanding nature of the writing process. Moreover, the non-linear structure of the novel itself, juxtaposing past and present, memory and imagination, serves as a testament to how unique and creative writing can be. 

Discussion Question: What do you think Luiselli wanted to emphasize by those connections between different storylines?

Reflecting on “Money to Burn”

Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well. I really enjoyed this week’s reading: “Money to Burn” by Ricardo Pigilia. To be entirely honest, it probably was because the genre of the book was more exciting than other books, especially considering that the book is based on a true crime that happened in Argentina. There was constantly a lot happening and the book was thoroughly engaging. Piglia is very committed to accurately presenting the facts of a crime and it is shown in a lot of references he makes to sources derived from his own research. However, the blending of facts with fictional elements is definitely what adds depth to the novel. I think the addition of background stories(which are fictional) is crucial for character development in the novel. Through the detailed character development, Piglia adds personalities, backgrounds, and motivations to these real-life figures, making them more than just participants in crime. These fictional elements not only make the characters more human but also add complexity to the story and prevent the book from being just accounts of a crime. These background stories show struggles such as discrimination or lost love that are behind criminal actions. The fictional elements not only make the characters more human but also add complexity to the story and prevent the book from being just accounts of a crime. While these background stories are fictional, they feel real in the sense that they add emotional weight to the character’s actions and decisions. This mixture of truth and fiction reminded me of the movie “House of Gucci” that I recently watched. The movie is based on the true murder of Maurizio Gucci by his wife but I believe much of the dialogues and little stories within the movie are entirely fictional. I think it is super creative to produce something by blending the elements of truth and fiction, and it is a different kind of complexity and creativity that cannot be recreated by an entirely fictional thing. I believe the rigorous research Piglia went through and the creative process of adding stories/personalities was a lot harder than embellishing some stories about the Gucci family. 

Discussion Question: did those background stories make it easier for you to empathize with the characters?

Reflecting on “Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector

The novel “Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector was a new and unique literature experience for me simply because I have never seen any book with that kind of unconventional narrative and storytelling. The story of Macabea is told from the perspective of Rodrigo S.M who himself is “one of the more important”(5) characters in the story. I feel like stories that are told from a third-person perspective often either have a narrating character who interacts with other characters or a narrator who is omnipotent and knows everything. It was really interesting to encounter a narrating character who is somewhat separated from the main story of the protagonist but has limited knowledge of what is going to happen in the story. The narrative is basically a monologue of Rodrigo SM. Unlike some of the books we have encountered so far, I feel like the narration of Rodrigo SM is really committed to describing things as is, a raw “state of being” in Macabea’s life. As Rodrigo SM mentions, “this story has no technique, nor style, it lives from hand to mouth”(28). Rodrigo’s narrative is a blend of detachment and deep empathy, which adds a layer of complexity to Macabéa’s character. He keeps calling her “dumb”, “ugly”, “idiot” and so on but also he says “only I, her author, love her”(19). He describes the brutal socioeconomic realities Macabea faces that make her dumb and ugly and gives a voice to the impoverished, or “the right to scream” which is one of the discarded titles Lispector provides. It’s as if Lispector is asking us to question not just the story, but the way stories are told and who gets to tell them.

I believe different titles provided at the beginning of the book represent different interpretations of the book and its storytelling. I think the title “hour of the star” really highlights the unsettling end to the story where Macabea finally gets the time to shine upon embracing death, which Rodrigo says is his “favourite character” in the story. I don’t know if death was the only salvation for Macabea but Rodrygo seems to believe that it was a good thing. The very first line of the book says “All the world began with a yes. One molecule said yes to another molecule and life was born”(3) and the story ends with “Yes”(76), as if to say the end of the story is also a beginning. I also liked the alternative title: “the right to scream” which I interpreted as giving a voice and opportunities to tell stories for those who never get attention in society. This seems like one of the central themes of the book. Macabea does not just represent her life but many others who experience similar suffering. 

Discussion Question: How does the unconventional narrative style of “Hour of the Star” affect our understanding and empathy towards Macabéa’s character?

Reflecting on “This Time of the Doves” by Merce Rodoreda

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great reading break. 

The first thing I want to point out is the complexity of Natalia’s character and her exploration of love, loss, and resilience. Like many characters we encountered so far, she remains relatable despite the extreme circumstances she goes through. Natalia’s transformation throughout the story is definitely the one aspect that struck me. Her journey from a naive young woman to a survivor of war and personal tragedy is both inspiring and devastating. Rodoreda’s portrayal of Natalia’s life is a powerful commentary on resilience and since the story is told from Natala’s perspective, this character development is vividly illustrated. I feel that many of war stories are often told from the male perspective so it was refreshing that the novel shed light on the feminine experience during times of war. Natalia’s struggles as a mother and a woman in a war-torn society are a testament to the untold stories of countless women who have endured similar hardships.

I really liked Rodoreda’s style of using imagery and stream of consciousness. Even though I was reading the book in a hurry, I was able to immerse myself in the story thanks to the writing style that draws the reader into Natalia’s experience. I also liked the lack of dialogue and the entire flow of the novel. I think it really highlighted the emotions of Natalia. The portrayal of Quimet and Natalia’s relationship with him is intriguing. The way he controls Natalia’s life while being charismatic really reflects the complexities of their relationship, and perhaps relationships in general. His death, while bringing a sense of relief, also leaves a profound impact on Natalia, highlighting the intricate dynamics of love and dependency.

“The Time of the Doves” is a beautifully written and also emotionally charged novel. Rodoreda’s writing and the character of Natalia really added depth to the story. I really liked the title of the book also. I think “Doves” took a more symbolic meaning as the story progressed, representing the entrapment and loss of freedom Natalia experiences in her marriage and the broader context of war.

Discussion Question: How does Rodoreda’s portrayal of Natalia challenge or reinforce traditional notions of femininity

Reflecting on “Black Shack Alley” by Joseph Zobel

As I was reading through Joseph Zobel’s “Black Shack Alley”, I found myself immersed in a world that was both familiar and foreign. The novel, set in early 20th century Martinique, follows the life of José, a young boy grappling with the realities of post-colonial life which is greatly different from my life. However, his journey of exploring his identity and sense of belonging(vividly expressed by Zobel’s narrative) was definitely relatable. One thing that struck me was the contrast between childhood innocence and the harsh realities of society José lives in. One aspect of the novel that struck me was the portrayal of childhood innocence against the backdrop of harsh societal realities. José’s early years in the Black Shack Alley are marked by a sense of freedom and playfulness, yet as the story progresses, the sense of innocence gradually fades away, revealing the ugly inequalities and struggles of colonial life. From this perspective, I personally think the character of José represents something similar to Silvio in “Mad Toy”(Roberto Arlt’s). The character of Silvio also represents a young person who grows in and out of innocence partially due to the systemic challenges he faces. I think this transition from innocence to awareness is a powerful reminder of how societal structures impact the most vulnerable.

I also believe the character of M’man Tine, José’s grandmother, was a significant piece of the story. Her unconditional support for Jose’s education, despite the adversities, is both heartwarming and heart-wrenching. I think the figure of M’man Tine embodies the main theme of the story which is resilience and hope. Zobel highlights that this resilience is achieved by the transformative power of education and a sense of community. José, as a character, matures and learns the idea of resilience to emancipate himself as his grandma’s health gets compromised from the years of working in the harsh environment. José’s journey through the education system, filled with challenges and racial barriers, is also a reflection of the broader struggle for equality and recognition. His experiences in the French school system, particularly the incident of being accused of plagiarism, highlight the systemic biases that black people face. This part of the story reminded me of the concept of the social glass ceiling I learned in my sociology class. Despite these social barriers, the story shows how Jose continues to fight for his and his community’s dignity. Zobel’s narrative style, rich in imagery, made “Black Shack Alley” an immersive read. The vivid descriptions of Martinique’s landscape added another layer of depth to the story. 

Discussion Question: Do you think Jose’s experience of maturing through many adversities is something unique to the social context behind his life? Which part of Jose’s character development was relatable to you?

Reflecting on “The Shrouded Woman” by María Luisa Bombal

As I turned the pages of María Luisa Bombal’s “The Shrouded Woman,” I found the narrative beautiful but haunting at the same time. With its unique premise of a woman narrating her life posthumously, this novel definitely offers a profound exploration of love, loss, and the complexities of the female psyche.

I liked how Bombal blended the mundane with the fantasy, serving as a perfect vessel to convey the inner world of Ana María. Her reflections from beyond the grave blur the lines between life and death, reality and imagination, allowing the readers to delve into her deepest emotions and experiences. This narrative style creates a dreamlike quality that is both disorienting and captivating.

Bombal’s exploration of female identity and societal expectations is also remarkable. Ana María’s life, as recounted in her post-mortem state, is a tapestry of relationships and roles imposed upon her by society. Her struggles with love, marriage, and motherhood reflect the broader challenges faced by women in a patriarchal society. Bombal also masterfully portrays the intensity of Ana María’s feelings, from passionate love to profound despair. Her emotions are raw and unfiltered, providing a stark contrast to the often subdued external expressions of women in her time. 

However, I found myself puzzled by the novel’s treatment of death. The concept of narrating from beyond the grave is both intriguing and unsettling. It raises existential questions about consciousness after death and the nature of the human soul. I believe this aspect of the novel adds a layer of philosophical depth, prompting reflections on life, death, and what lies beyond.

Bombal’s writing style, rich in imagery and symbolism, adds another layer of complexity to the narrative. Her descriptions are vivid, painting a picture of Ana María’s world that is both beautiful and melancholic. The novel’s language is a testament to Bombal’s skill as a writer, capable of weaving a narrative that is as lyrical as it is impactful.

“The Shrouded Woman” is a novel that challenges conventional storytelling and societal norms. It invites readers to ponder the intricacies of human relationships, the constraints of societal expectations, and the eternal mysteries of life and death. Bombal’s work is not just a story; it’s an experience that lingers in the mind long after the last page is turned.

Discussion question:  how do the various relationships Ana María reflects upon from beyond the grave reveal the complexities and contradictions of her character and the societal expectations placed on women in her era?

Reflecting on “Mad Toy”

Hi everyone! I personally think, the reading I chose for this week, Roberto Arlt’s “Mad Toy,” really captured the essence of early 20th-century Buenos Aires through the eyes of its protagonist, Silvio Astier. Reading it almost felt like navigating a maze as it illustrates the complexities of ambition, disillusionment, and the raw realities of urban life. The book articulates Silvio’s journey, marked by his forays into petty crime and his relentless pursuit of a better life. His life is pretty unrelatable to the way I lived my life, but I felt for him because his character represents someone who oscillates between the innocence of youth and the jaded perspective of someone who has seen too much too soon. The novel opens with Silvio and his friends forming a thievery gang, a misguided attempt at heroism, driven by their youthful naivety and the harsh realities of their environment. This blend of innocence and Silvio’s cynical view of the world was both fascinating and heart-breaking. 

Compared to “Combray”,  this book was definitely easier to read personally shorter and raw dialogues etc. It was interesting to see the sudden change in the pace of the novel. I think these abrupt changes well represent the unpredictability of Silvio’s life. I believe this stylistic choice truly draws in readers and adds a unique flavor to the story. Another interesting aspect of the novel for me was Silvio’s relationships with literature and education. His job at a bookstore and his later disillusionment with the intellectual elite paint a vivid picture of a young man caught between his aspirations and the harsh truths of societal class barriers. This struggle for personal growth in the face of adversity is a theme that I believe many of us can relate to. Silvio’s life is portrayed as a series of ups and downs. This pattern made me reflect on the broader societal structures that often dictate the trajectories of our lives, especially for those from less privileged backgrounds. From this perspective, “Mad Toy” is not just a story about a young man’s struggle, but a commentary on the societal conditions of early 20th-century Argentina. 

Discussion: What is the main theme the author wanted to convey through the portrayal of Silvio’s life filled with struggles, and adversities, but some hope and opportunities?

Reflecting on Marcel Proust’s “Combray”

After finishing the book “Combray” by Proust, I found myself thinking about my nostalgic memories from the past. The narrative provided a rich tapestry of memories and sensations which transported me into the depths of the narrator’s childhood experiences in the French town of Combray. Though the writing was less structured with meandering prose and challenged my reading habits, I found some of its intricacy and complexity beautiful. 

Proust’s exploration of involuntary memory, triggered by the simple act of tasting a madeleine dipped in tea, resonated deeply with me. I myself find it nostalgic when I see a small kid and their dad playing catch in the playfield because it reminds me of me and my dad doing the same thing in the suburb of Japan. It’s fascinating how mundane objects or acts can unexpectedly unlock a floodgate of memories, transporting us back to moments we thought were lost in time. This made me wonder about the power of sensory experiences in shaping our memories and, by extension, our identities. 

The book vividly illustrates the landscapes and people of Combray, painting a vivid picture of the narrator’s childhood world. Through this, I believe Proust captures the essence of a place and time which again, made me reflect on the places from my own childhood, considering how they’ve shaped my perception of the world.

Another aspect of “Combray” that struck me was the portrayal of the narrator’s family dynamics. Though it was hard to understand in some parts, the complex relationship with his mother and emotional dependency highlighted the universal nature of familial bonds and the profound impact they have on our emotional development.

Nevertheless, Proust’s writing style, while beautiful, can also be seen as a double-edged sword. It could be just me not used to different writing styles of Romance literature but long, winding sentences, sometimes made the narrative overwhelming and simply hard to understand. Such writing style probably enabled the narrative to dive into the depths of memory, time, and the human psyche, but I feel like the writing could be a bit more structured. 

Discussion Question: How do our childhood memories and experiences shape our adult perceptions and relationships? Can the nostalgia and sentimentality associated with these memories sometimes distort our understanding of the past?

Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Ren Koyama. I’m a fourth-year Arts student majoring in Political Science and minoring in Sociology. I was born and raised in Tokyo, Japan but I came to Vancouver in grade 10 and graduated high school here in Vancouver. In my free time, I love watching sports, especially baseball and UFC, but I genuinely watch(and sometimes bet on…) many sports. I also like outdoor activities such as skiing, hiking, and just relaxing at the beach with my friends. Wreck Beach is my favourite spot on campus by a mile.

To be honest, I’m not big of a book person but I’m excited to expose myself to various literature that I have not got my hands on before. I took WRDS150A instead of English in my first year and I have been writing many academic essays through my years at UBC. I spent quite a bit of time learning academic writing; nonetheless, my experience in learning more creative literature from different cultures has definitely been limited. I believe this is a great opportunity for me to grapple with different writings in Spanish, French, Portuguese etc, that broadens the scope of my Arts degree. Academic papers can sometimes be too formal and boring that they become disengaging. I think reading and analyzing literature in Romance Studies can also add more creativity and cohesion to my academic writing

From the Week 1 lecture video, I found it very interesting when the professor mentioned there is no geographical center in Romance Studies and thus it is a deterritorialized discipline. That is why “nobody can speak for Romance Studies or can claim to be closer to its source. Here we are all strangers”. I was wondering how interacting with literature in English translation would be different from learning it in Romance languages. I thought we might miss out on some aspects of the original literature but it was nice to know that it is actually appropriate to study Romance literature in English translation since it is not tied to a specific place or culture. I’m thrilled to engage with many writings I’m unfamiliar with this term.