Reflecting on “Mad Toy”

Hi everyone! I personally think, the reading I chose for this week, Roberto Arlt’s “Mad Toy,” really captured the essence of early 20th-century Buenos Aires through the eyes of its protagonist, Silvio Astier. Reading it almost felt like navigating a maze as it illustrates the complexities of ambition, disillusionment, and the raw realities of urban life. The book articulates Silvio’s journey, marked by his forays into petty crime and his relentless pursuit of a better life. His life is pretty unrelatable to the way I lived my life, but I felt for him because his character represents someone who oscillates between the innocence of youth and the jaded perspective of someone who has seen too much too soon. The novel opens with Silvio and his friends forming a thievery gang, a misguided attempt at heroism, driven by their youthful naivety and the harsh realities of their environment. This blend of innocence and Silvio’s cynical view of the world was both fascinating and heart-breaking. 

Compared to “Combray”,  this book was definitely easier to read personally shorter and raw dialogues etc. It was interesting to see the sudden change in the pace of the novel. I think these abrupt changes well represent the unpredictability of Silvio’s life. I believe this stylistic choice truly draws in readers and adds a unique flavor to the story. Another interesting aspect of the novel for me was Silvio’s relationships with literature and education. His job at a bookstore and his later disillusionment with the intellectual elite paint a vivid picture of a young man caught between his aspirations and the harsh truths of societal class barriers. This struggle for personal growth in the face of adversity is a theme that I believe many of us can relate to. Silvio’s life is portrayed as a series of ups and downs. This pattern made me reflect on the broader societal structures that often dictate the trajectories of our lives, especially for those from less privileged backgrounds. From this perspective, “Mad Toy” is not just a story about a young man’s struggle, but a commentary on the societal conditions of early 20th-century Argentina. 

Discussion: What is the main theme the author wanted to convey through the portrayal of Silvio’s life filled with struggles, and adversities, but some hope and opportunities?

1 thought on “Reflecting on “Mad Toy”

1. Jon

“his character represents someone who oscillates between the innocence of youth and the jaded perspective of someone who has seen too much too soon”

Yes, this is an interesting observation: he’s both old and young. Or perhaps he has to grow up too soon, too fast, even as he hasn’t entirely left behind his somewhat childish thoughts (influenced by his reading, for instance).