Letter to the Arts AMS Council Members

Dear Arts AMS Council Members,

My name is Valentina Vargas Ricca and I am an international student from Guatemala. I understand that there is a motion to remove the International Representative Seat from the AMS Council. I have to say that I can’t even believe this is happening. International students are 15% of the student body and there are many issues that are exclusive to us, such as an extremely high tuition. If we are important enough to make UBC a ‘world university’ we are important enough to have a voice in the AMS Council. In fact, instead of trying to remove our voice in the council there should be a move to give this seat a vote.
I am ashamed that this motion came from an Arts Council Member and hope that you will reconsider your position. International students are very important contributors to UBC’s diverse environment. Taking our voice away from the student council will worsen the reputation of the AMSĀ and put a set back on the growing international popularity of our university.
As my representatives I urge you to take action on this issue and protect the international students’ voices.

Valentina Vargas Ricca,
First year Arts student

About Valentina

I'm from a small and beautiful town next to a big and amazing lake in Guatemala.