Reflect

After one term study of marketing, I find marketing is an interesting study of how firms develop a product, product a product, promote a product and generate market share by using the STP strategy.

By doing team projects, I find it is really enjoyable and effective if everyone can raise their own opinions. Team should be coordinated together to accomplish the same job. Our team members are really nice person and talkable. I find it interesting to discuss about the assigments with them. I find I improved my interpersonal skill and research skills by doing this project and got a deep knowledge about the AIR CANADA. Marketing is so interesting  that it can be applied to every phenomenon happens in the society.

My interpersonal skill was improved. Before meeting, I always book the room and organize the time for meeting. I listen to others ideas before point out my ideas. I raise questions to others when i confused. My research skills are developed because I use a lot of research sites to do a lot of research about  the air canada. I research every attributes of Air Canada like history, service quality, safety, pricing strategy, market share, etc.

If I have another choice to take this assignment. I will definitely more involved. I will do more study and be more responsible for the assignment.

My top takeaway is I understand how a product is applied to a market. And every product has its own target customers. And I am interested in the development of product breadth and product line depth. I think marketing is an interesting subject.

RE: Apple Market Strategy

I read Linada’s blog (https://blogs.ubc.ca/linda/) called “A cheaper iphone is coming soon?”  and I found it is very interesting that she picked out how Apple’s price change will influence the target market. When Apple creates a new product, it uses the best technology, including the production processes, Retina screen, and the aluminum alloy integrally molded to provide the best products for the market. It is true that people in developing countries classify apple  as a luxury good, but people in developed countries like USA and Canda see apple as a normal good. So if Apple want to lower the price of the iphone in order to increase the potential customers in developing countries. Iphone will lose its representativeness of luxury,and people will see apple as a normal electrical company. I believe although the profit will increase when the cheap Iphone 6 is realsed. In the long term, however, Iphone will lose a lot of customers from the previous target segment, which would result in a deduction of profit. Meanwhile, if Apple introduce this Cheap Iphone 6 in developed countries, I believe the total profit would increase as people in Canada already see apple as a normal good.

On the other side, because the explosive growth in the smartphone market has now shifted to emerging markets like China and India, where there are few carrier subsidies and most people can’t afford phones that cost $600.

Apple’s decision to offer a $99-$149 phone will reduce the amount of profit that Apple makes per phone.  It will likely reduce Apple’s profit margin. But that’s okay. Apple’s profit margin is still extraordinarily high.

I believe that Market share is not something Apple is concerned about, Apple is more willing to produce great product, introduce new ideas and bring good stuff to the world.

Mobile E-Commerce

Image

After reading the outsource blog:

People are increasingly using their smart phones everyday as a replacement for desktop computers. The development of the mobile e-commerce allows us to shop the products or services by using the mobiles.  Mobile e-commerce is the online sales transactions that use wireless electronic devices such as hand-held computers, mobile phones or laptops. These wireless devices interact with compute networks that have the ability to conduct online purchases.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Take real estate as an example. There is increasing evidence that consumers are more likely to call or email an agent about a listing from a mobile device than from a laptop or desktop computer.  The mobile real estate application has many brand new features. The customers are allowed to create private ratings for homes they like then send them to family and friends. With the GPS technology, we can see which properties are for sale and to rent nearby.

Moreover, I believe that the mobile applications can provide us a better shopping experience. The mobile shopping mall is the future trend of development, medium and small businesses can create their own mobile shopping mall to attract customers.
The mobile phone shopping is the use of mobile Internet, the online shopping process is mobile e-commerce into the 3G era will usher in rapid development.

With the Internet faster and the introduction of 3G,  customers can visit the shop page smoothly, thus the operating experience and computer Internet shopping is almost no difference. Compared to traditional Internet shopping, consumers using the mobile phone shopping is more convenient, private, interactive.

I believe in the future, with the development of the new cell phones, the better mobile internet will even improve the experience of the mobile e-commerce. I am using the Samsung Galaxy Note2, the large screen and 4G internet speed is really amazing and make me believe the future potential of this business.

Network marketing and direct selling–Amway business

Direct selling is the sale of a consumer product or service, person-to-person through independent sales representatives or distributors. Direct sellers are not employees of the company.

They are independent contractors who market and sell the products or services of a company in return for a commission on those sales. While the network marketing is way of doing business in which a sales force earns a commission not only for sales of products and services they personally generate, but also for the sales of others they recruit and bring into the business, which creates a down-line of distributors to develop the market. The network marketing business is not a traditional business. Traditional business is like if you work hard, you get more paid, and no work no pay. However, in network marketing company, if you work hard in the previous 3 years, once you network has been built up in the local market, you will get a great return every year, which means you will have your freedom after you successfully develop a network sales team. This is like building water pipes.

The Amway products are useful and you can make a living with it if you are good with people. The business distributors make money through selling the vitamins, skin care products and home care products to people. The Amway business rewards IBO (independent business owners) for selling products and helping others you sponsor to do the same. The IBOs earn income from retail profit, monthly performance bonuses, monthly and annual leadership bonuses, and other cash and business incentives based on personal and group performance.
I have been doing this business for about four months and I really earns a lot of experiences like how to deal the social relationships, how to practice my presentational skills. And in this business, I have to learn to make a good schedule because I am my own boss in this business. I also get a lot of experiences of management. Overall, I think it is a good marketing business.

Ads Run on iPad

Companies advertise for many reasons. To create or reinforce a favorable impression of their brand, for instance. But mainly they advertise to sell products. A manufacturer can amplify the demand of a product by advertising widely。

Ever since the debut of the first iPad three years ago, marketers had realized the potential of tablets as a new advertising platform.  Today, we have the new iPad. And several features of this new model will help accelerate tablet advertising this year:

It’s got an even better screen. The comfortable size of the iPad screen that’s even better than your high-definition television, opens up even more possibilities for ad formats. Not just new ones, such as interactive ads or apps that are essentially ads.  Advertisers can run rich, colorful brand ads in a way that never has worked well on the PC. The ads that appear in iPads and digital tablets seem to be outperforming the traditional printed versions of the ads. Digital obviously offers more opportunities to respond with the interactivity.

While using an iPad, we’re more often relaxed, at rest, or in a mood to discover something. That means we’re more likely to chase an appealing discount, new product, or fun game down the ad click rabbit hole. Advertisers want to court us when we’re receptive to their advances. When we pick up the iPad, we let down our guard, which means these advertisements can more easily attract us when we are using the ipads.

One of the most interesting ads on ipad is the Audi A1. The users are allowed to rotate the car 360 degrees. It’s a simple execution, but is far more memorable than a simple static ad.

I believe that the advertising on tablets such as ipad has great market potential. These ads on ipads are more attractive and are more easily let the consumers get involved.
They should make goods ads so that the users of ipad won’t get annoyed about the ads.

Marketing Ethics —McDonald’s and KFC use sick chickens

A major chicken supplier in Central China has been suspected of selling sick birds to popular food chains including KFC, in the latest crisis to hit the country’s poultry industry. Food authorities in China’s Henan Province recently ordered an investigation into a poultry company that reportedly bought sick and dead chicken from farms, then resold the sick ones to fast food restaurants such as KFC and McDonald’s.  Chinese state TV reports that chickens served at KFC and McDonald’s restaurants in China have been fed illegal, toxic drugs and kept under constant lights to make them grow faster, and thereby provide more profits for their unscrupulous producers. These chickens have a high death rate because of the side-effect of the medicine.

Chinese law requires that chickens that die in the feeding process should be burned and buried on location and must not be transported to other farms or factories. Sick chickens that cannot be cured as regulated should be killed and disposed of the same way. However, many chicken farms don’t have facilities for non-hazardous treatment.

When I saw this news, I was really surprised and shocked. While the company is using dead chicken to make the chicken burgers and chicken wings maybe in an attempt to lower their cost, they ignored the severe consequences  of unhealthy chicken, which may cause several disease. A business owner should viewing customers with a lifetime value perspective, rather than on a transaction-by-transaction basis. While lying to the consumers might be able to bring greater profits at first, once the consumers find out the truth, the business will lose these loyal customers and lose the good will in the market. Being ethical when market or sell the products is essential for businesses not only because it protects the consumers, but also because it allows the business itself to build a trusting and  long term relationship with its target consumers.