A6/7 | Noora | Tactile Body Spaces & Movement

In-Class Activity for A7: Quick sketches to record and communicate design deficiencies in my bedroom door. These could be developed further or – more importantly – to begin making proposals for improved design.

Some possible proposals: change the door knob; refit the strike-plate to lie flush with the door frame; change the direction in which the door swings and switch the insulation to avoid pushing dust into the room; raise the insulation slightly to reduce friction. These could also be drawn.
A6: An analysis of noises in my bedroom, as well as some design proposals.

The mapping on the left records the distribution of some key noises in my bedroom. Given the quiet COVID-19 weekday evening context, there was little activity and only the most consistent noises were heard.

The plan on the top left further spatializes elements identified in the mapping. A ‘problem wall’ which propagates and amplifies noises in the room is identified.

Two simple drawings on the bottom right diagrammatically elaborate on the ‘problem wall’ in relation to the furnace and lamps as key noise sources. Proposals are made to resolve these issues.
A7: An analysis and proposals for my work desk. Although this assignment emphasizes movement, I selected a space of stasis where I spend most of my time. Here, even the smallest movement makes a difference, and small discomforts build up over extended working periods.

While I find these drawing quite successful and think they can speak for themselves, they would benefit from supporting drawings:

Drawings of the (decidedly plasticky) textures at a high spatial resolution, and where exactly they contact the body would be beneficial. A series of body-position drawings could be produced to illustrate the awkward positions assumed in navigating the desk. Perhaps additional position drawings with my laptop/wired-headphones/wheeled-chair as targets I actively manipulate which also limit/enable my mobility.

These were all considerations on my mind, but I skipped the step of drawing them – potential materials for a more robust analysis.