Starcraft II

YouTube Preview ImageAccording to my knowledge, this is one of the hittest game this year, Starcraft II. But the question is why? I believe they spend a lot of time designing the game, drawing the characters, testing, playing and promoting. But why is it so sucessful ? From teenagers to adults, they all say it is great, it is fantastic. What is the magic behind this promotion campagin?

Wait. I think the key word in this marketing campagin is wait. Making the customer anticipate for the game increases the anxiety, investment and the expectation of the game. First, Billizard started promoting like one year before the game is published, gave out little video clips of starcraft and lured customer’s attention. The excitement, fun and experience that this game offers satisify the last two level of the Maslow Pyramid of Needs. Suddenly, Starcraft II becomes this “must buy game” and turns into a social bond between friends. Starcraft II is a tunnel which link friends together when they are still at home. Putting people together who has the same hobby, strategic thinking and gaming. But the key in this promotion campagin, I believe, is the ability that starcraft II can delay the release of the product which increases the anticipation and eventually the satisifaction of the product.