Batalla en el cielo

Posted by: | February 11, 2009 | Comments Off on Batalla en el cielo

I think this film showed a unique representation of Mexico. Compared to the other films that we have seen in class, this film shows the actual interaction between the high class and the working class. In addition to that, aspects of the lower class are shown while in the city, something which we have not seen much either. This is important because as Mexico developed, the lower classes that used to live away from the city migrated to the city to look for more economic opportunities which are not always there. For example, Marcos’ wife sells clocks and other stuff in the Metro, meaning she never found any real “economic opportunity” in the city. This change in environment is always a must-see because it shows their lack of understanding of norms and their true characters. For example, there was a scene in the movie where about ten people step out of a car. It was a bit funny to see this but it actually depicts reality. I also like how the film showed various parts of Mexico, all within range. They showed the city with busy traffic, a farm, a higher class neighbourhood, a gas station, a working class house, etc. This makes the viewer actually compare the two social classes in a better way as they see how everyone interacts differently in different environments. It was also interesting the actions of the people in the white car when it came to Ana’s house. They were dressed up and probably a bit drunk. When they pissed at the back of the car it was a funny moment as everyone does it. However when I thought about I thought that if a darker Mexican in a lower class environment would be doing that, it would show as if he lacks education and norms. Finally I found a lack of “machismo” in this movie as well. I was expecting it to happen in some way or another but never did. It was probably because Marcos had a weak personality. It seemed like women were the ones who were actually in control of situations. Marcos’ wife slaps him and he doesn’t react, Ana’s boyfriend leaves when he is told to get the newspaper, and the “boutique” is presented as the women giving a favor to men. Finally, sex was portrayed in a non sexual way. I don’t know if that makes sense, but at times characters didn’t move at all and had no expressions. Marcos especially, seemed like he couldn’t show what he was feeling, not only at sexual intercourse but at every point in the movie. However this could be explained by the fact he was really scared of what had happened and couldn’t keep his mind off that.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind