Self-Assessment Reflection Blog

As the semester has now come to a close I find myself looking back on English 301 and feeling very grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of such an informative program.  I will be graduating with a minor in English Literature, and I have always felt like I am a strong writer, however, English 301 challenged me in new ways, and because of this I am a better writer now than I was coming into the semester.

When I came into this class I did not know what to expect, but I quickly understood just how important the curriculum was, not only for my education but also for my professional career outside of university.  Now that the semester is complete I am coming away from this course with a much better knowledge of how to conduct myself professionally in written form and through an online platform.  However, even though I am coming away from this course feeling confident about the skills I have acquired, it should be mentioned that I did face a number of challenges throughout.  These challenges were welcomed, as I am always eager to be pushed out of my comfort zone in order to learn a new skill.

Building an online professional profile is something that I was not familiar with coming into the course, which was ultimately the biggest hurdle I had to overcome.  Setting up a blog, a LinkedIn profile, and contributing to my Team Forum, are all online platforms that I am not very familiar with.  Getting the hang of things was a little difficult at first.

The great thing about working online with a group of like-minded professionals is that ideas can be shared and critiqued constructively by our peers, which in turn makes us better writers and professionals as we moved through the course.  The sharing of our posts and ideas, and the peer reviews we did for one another are all ways in which we networked and connected with each other over the course of the semester.

Undoubtedly, the skills that I have acquired after completing English 301 will transition nicely into the professional career I am currently in, as well it will help me in my future endeavors too.  I plan on submitting an application to a graduate school very soon, and I will be applying a large portion of what I learned through this course to my application package.

Web Folio Process Reflection Blog

The Web Folio package assignment is an extremely important assignment for anyone who wishes to present themselves as a professional in online world.  Because of the multitude of connections that are made online in today’s business and social world, having a strong platform that represents yourself professionally goes a long way for anyone looking to advance in their career.  In total the Web Folio consists of my blog, biography, application package, LinkedIn profile, online resume, and my best works.  All of these categories help me ground myself in the business world, and they act well in creating a sort of home base for all of my important documents that potential employers or graduate school admissions offices might be interested in.

One at a time each category was worked on, and even though the Web Folio was once just a jumble of files in a folder, they have all come together quite well on my website.  I found it incredibly helpful to see exactly what is needed in order to begin to establish myself in a professional role.  Perhaps the most eyeopening assignment for me throughout this process was the LinkedIn profile.  I had always heard of LinkedIn, but I never thought I needed one.  This Web Folio assignment has allowed for me to see how building an online profile is beneficial, as making connections online has never been easier.

Before working through this project I thought it was going to be quite easy, as I have made resume’s and cover letter’s before.  However, this assignment teaches us to focus on the small details, for example using the You Attitude is important when trying to impress a potential graduate school or employer.  This package also taught me to always conduct myself professionally, unless both parties agree to speak casually.  Because the internet is so accessible and so easy to use, for most people, it is also easy to become too relaxed.  One must remember that because of there are millions of people coming in contact with each other online everyday, it has become more difficult to make an impression.  That first impression you do leave on a potential future employer or an admissions office is everything.

Unit Three Reflection Blog

Unit Three Reflection Blog

Unit Three has helped me a great deal in understanding how to write professionally in a number of ways. The class started out this Unit by looking at the “Writing with a You-Attitude” section. In this section we were instructed to write two letters that individually represented a “Complaint” and the reply in the form of a “Bad News” letter. Upon completion of these letters it was our responsibility to read and review a team member’s letters, and vice versa. The end portion of this Unit focused on our Formal Report (Draft), which served as a terrific starting point for this project. These are all very valuable learning points that will surely transition well into the professional world I will find myself in upon graduation.

The section of Unit 3 that focused on writing with a “You-Attitude” has helped me a great deal in understanding how to create a document for a specific attitude that aims to making sure that the reader feels important, and most importantly not attacked or accused in any malicious way. While I understood this method, and believed that I already conducted myself this way when writing, I quickly found out that there were many adjustments that needed to be applied to my work in order to ensure the best representation of the “You-Attitude”. For example, team member Lia Slager reviewed my assignment Letters, and suggested that I refrain from using the word “you” as much as I did. She based her decision on the fact that continual use of the word might suggest to the reader that they are being accused or singled out on a specific matter or situation. This was very helpful and will be applying her insight to further projects.

The Formal Report (Draft) was the main component of this Unit, and was a section that I really enjoyed. The research process, including gathering information through interviews and the survey I posted at my place of employment, was a lot of fun. Not only was I completing requirements for our course, but I was also engaging professionally with my co-workers about an important aspect of the restaurant world; food waste management.

Completing the Formal Report (Draft) gave me a feeling of accomplishment, as I have never composed a document that resembles the one we are currently working on. It was challenging, yet I did not feel frustrated, as I am eager to learn new techniques in writing. This Unit has been very enjoyable, and I look forward to completing my Formal Report. Attached to this word document is a file of my Formal Report (Draft), please see below.

Enclosed:Taylor-Smith-Formal-Report-Draft

Unit Two Reflection Blog

During Unit 2 I found myself learning quite a lot about how to conduct myself professionally through my continued work on my Formal Report, while also learning how to present myself professionally online through the use of a LinkedIn profile. The required assignment of a Formal Report Outline, has served me well in helping me better understand the direction I want to take in my report. Also, the peer review aspect in Unit 2 provided me with some useful information on how I can make my report stronger.

Creating a LinkedIn profile was something that I have done once before, however, my previous attempt did not go as well. After reviewing our required readings and researching the Internet on how to make a LinkedIn profile stand out, I am quite happy with how my profile turned out, and I am excited to build my profile as I move through my academic and professional life. I believe it is important to have an online profile that highlights your achievements professionally and academically, as the world we live in today is very geared towards having an online image. Having a strong LinkedIn profile will undoubtedly aid me in my efforts of bettering myself in the professional world.

In Unit 2 a requirement was for us to create an outline for our Formal Report, as well we were asked to try and come up with either some survey or interview questions that would help strengthen our report. The outline has helped me see how I am going to piece together my report, which is very useful. Admittedly, working out an outline as detailed as the one that is required of us in this course is something I am not used to, as my outlines are usually quite minimal. Nevertheless, I see the importance of this assignment, and I believe I now have a better understanding of how to put together an outline, which will help me with other assignments I might have in the future.

Finally, I think the peer review aspect of this course is very important, as bouncing ideas off another like-minded student peer of mine is very helpful in bettering the skills I already have, while also obtaining new skills as I learn from my mistakes or shortcomings. I have always felt like I am a strong writer, however, I am also very much aware that I have areas that I need to improve in. Peer reviews help me in the latter, as all the information my peers are able to give me I take in and consider the help they are so graciously giving.

Revised Proposal:301- Taylor-Smith-Formal Report Proposal

Hyperlink to Peer Review of my Proposal: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99c-2018wc/2019/02/06/peer-review-of-taylor-smiths-formal-report-proposal/

Unit One Reflection

Assignment 1:3 really helped me to understand just how important clarity is when it comes to writing about a certain subject. By defining my word, historiography, I was able to see that sometimes a simple definition is not sufficient when attempting to express my argument. It is important to write academically, but also to remember that the audience might not be as familiar with a chosen topic. Keeping this in mind, this assignment has allowed for me to see how much elaboration is important when trying to connect to an audience that might not always necessarily seek out an article on a subject they are not familiar with. An author must take into account that proper explanation of a subject helps the author’s attempts of reaching a wider audience. I found it quite helpful to read about and execute particular expanded definition techniques, which in turn not only helped my audience learn about a certain topic, but also helped myself learn something new about a topic that I thought I knew quite a bit about already.

Upon completion of my definitions assignment, I partnered up with Writing Team member, Lia Slager. I found this exercise quite helpful, as I was able to see how my team member executed her assignment, which helped me further understand the requirements for the Unit. Lia wrote very well, and I found her assignment to be easy to understand. I was able to suggest a few things that I believed would help her assignment be even better. Likewise, Lia reviewed my own Definitions Assignment, and was able to give me some constructive criticism that I took in and used to revise my original assignment. She helped me see how my parenthetical definition was not a proper representation of how a parenthetical definition should be presented. I re-read the section in our textbook, reviewed her own parenthetical definition again, and revised my original work to better fit the requirements for said definition.

Before starting this assignment I felt confused as to how I was to take one technical term and define it multiple ways. I felt as though one term could be limited to only one way of defining it. As I read through the section in our text, I quickly began to see the many ways in which a term can be defined. I started thinking about other technical terms that I have come in contact with throughout my time studying history, and began applying different expanded definitions to these terms. Not only was I able to discover a new way of writing technically, I was able to learn more about my major field, which was quite nice.

I especially enjoyed the peer review aspect of this assignment, something that will come up again in this course. Lia was very informative, and professional, in the constructive criticism she presented to me, and I have walked away from this assignment feeling like I have acquired a valuable asset in technical writing that I believe will transition well into both my academic and professional careers.

Edited Definitions: 301-Taylor-Smith-Definitions-Revised

Hyperlink to Lia’s peer review of my assignment: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99c-2018wc/2019/01/30/peer-review-for-assignment-13-taylor-smith/

Email to Alisa Dmitrieva, Writing Team Partner

To: Alisa Dmitrieva

From: Taylor Smith

Date: January 23, 2019

Subject: English 301 Professional Writing Team

Dear Alisa,

I would like to thank you for getting in contact with me about joining your Professional Writing Team, “Last But Not Least”, as I joined the course late and was in need of a group. After speaking with you I am very excited to move forward together throughout the semester, as we learn new skills and achieve our academic goals. I believe we both possess skills that will compliment one another, which will ensure our success. Furthermore, your friendly and outgoing attitude pairs nicely with mine, and our desire to lead and learn will help drive us through each project assigned to us.

As we are both getting used to this new way of learning, we both have some catching up to do. I see you have not had the opportunity yet to write your Letter of Application, and that is fine. Part of this assignment was to express your strengths and weaknesses, something that we will both learn about each other as the semester goes on. I believe after talking with you that I already have noticed some strengths that you possess, as mentioned before. However, it is your weaknesses that I still have yet to see. It is only natural for us to have some areas that need strengthening, and please know that if I can I would be more than willing to help you get stronger in certain areas, as I hope you would do the same for me.

I want to thank you again for inviting me onto your Professional Writing Team. Together, with our other group members, let us show everyone that even though we were one of the last groups to form we are just as strong as any other group. Please feel free to contact me via email at taylor.a.smith199@gmail.com. Or, if you feel more comfortable, message me on Facebook. Either way, I will make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. You will find attached to this email my Letter of Application.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Taylor Smith

301 Taylor Smith Application Letter

Email to Lia Slager, Writing Team Partner

To: Lia Slager

From: Taylor Smith

Date: January 21, 2019

Dear Lia,

After reviewing your Letter of Application I believe we could work well together. It would seem that you are an outgoing person, professionally motivated, and hard worker; all of which are characteristics that I believe I possess too. The fact that you worked in a legal office as a teenager shows me that you were introduced into a professional environment at an early age, something that surely has benefited you later in life.

I have noted where you feel your strengths and weaknesses are, and I applaud you for being honest when speaking to the weaknesses you feel you may have. I believe that a keen eye for grammatical issues found through extensive editing is a skill in and of its own. So, even though you suggest one of your weaknesses is French as a second language, which has resulted in sometimes adding an “E” to the end of words, I see it differently. You have acknowledged where you struggle, and have found away to counter that struggle with exceptional editing skills. Adapting to this shows me that you are a problem solver, and that you are passionate about your work, as you seek to better your technical writing through the editing you do.

I would very much like to be a part of a Professional Writing Team with you, and I hope after reviewing my Letter of Application you will feel the same. Please feel free to contact me via email at taylor.a.smith199@gmail.com. You will find attached to this email my Letter of Application.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Taylor Smith

301 Taylor Smith Application Letter

Memorandum

To: Dr Erika Patterson, English Professor

From: Taylor Smith, English 301 99A Student

Date: January 21, 2019

Subject: Summary of Application Letter

As outlined on the English 301 course website, I have updated my blog to include my Application Letter for the prospective position on a Professional Writing Team.

Attached to this memo you will find my Application Letter, which includes the following:

• A summary of character
  • Previous professional experience
  • Highlights of my strengths and weaknesses
  • How I hope to help my future Professional Writing team

Please let me know if there is any other information you need from me, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding my Application Letter. Thank you.

301 Taylor Smith Application Letter

Letter of Application

203-1225 West 72nd Ave

Vancouver, B.C. V6P 3C5

January 21, 2019

English 301 99C Technical Writing

University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4

Dear Classmates of English 301,

Please consider me for your professional writing team by taking a moment to read through my litter of application. Currently, I am in my fourth year of the Bachelor of Arts program at the University of British Columbia. I will graduate in May of this year with a major in history and a minor in English. Prior to attending university I worked full time in construction before I decided to pursue a higher education to help me achieve my career goals. Most of my life I have been involved in hockey, beginning my playing career at the age of 6 and continuing through to the age of 17. After high school I continued to play at a less competitive level, and still play occasionally today. Being a part of a team atmosphere most of my childhood has really helped me later in life, as I tend to thrive in atmospheres involving teamwork. I am not afraid to take charge, and have often been complimented on my ability to push those around me to do there very best.

Currently, I am working full time as a kitchen manager at Milestones Restaurant. The restaurant industry has been very accommodating while I have been in university, and my ability to adapt to the team atmosphere that comes with restaurant work has allowed for my quick advances within the company. It takes a strong work ethic with a keen attention to detail to be able to work well within the restaurant industry, an attitude and skill-set that I have strengthened in my time there.

As a student majoring in history with a minor in English, technical writing skills are quite strong, as both fields are heavily dependent on reading and writing. Of course, I am always learning, as I believe it is not only important to be proud of our strengths, but also to be open-minded and accepting of our weaknesses. Perhaps, one of my weaknesses is I tend to write more than what is necessary, as I am learning focus on getting my point across more efficiently. By being open-minded towards criticism is how we can grow, which will in turn result in the creation of new skill-sets and strengths that we can apply to our personal and professional lives.

If you feel like we might be a good fit I would very much like to discuss further the opportunity to work together in the future. Thank you for taking the time to read my Letter of Application, you may contact me via email at taylor.a.smith199@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Taylor Smith

301 Taylor Smith Application Letter