Unit Three Reflection Blog

Unit Three Reflection Blog

Unit Three has helped me a great deal in understanding how to write professionally in a number of ways. The class started out this Unit by looking at the “Writing with a You-Attitude” section. In this section we were instructed to write two letters that individually represented a “Complaint” and the reply in the form of a “Bad News” letter. Upon completion of these letters it was our responsibility to read and review a team member’s letters, and vice versa. The end portion of this Unit focused on our Formal Report (Draft), which served as a terrific starting point for this project. These are all very valuable learning points that will surely transition well into the professional world I will find myself in upon graduation.

The section of Unit 3 that focused on writing with a “You-Attitude” has helped me a great deal in understanding how to create a document for a specific attitude that aims to making sure that the reader feels important, and most importantly not attacked or accused in any malicious way. While I understood this method, and believed that I already conducted myself this way when writing, I quickly found out that there were many adjustments that needed to be applied to my work in order to ensure the best representation of the “You-Attitude”. For example, team member Lia Slager reviewed my assignment Letters, and suggested that I refrain from using the word “you” as much as I did. She based her decision on the fact that continual use of the word might suggest to the reader that they are being accused or singled out on a specific matter or situation. This was very helpful and will be applying her insight to further projects.

The Formal Report (Draft) was the main component of this Unit, and was a section that I really enjoyed. The research process, including gathering information through interviews and the survey I posted at my place of employment, was a lot of fun. Not only was I completing requirements for our course, but I was also engaging professionally with my co-workers about an important aspect of the restaurant world; food waste management.

Completing the Formal Report (Draft) gave me a feeling of accomplishment, as I have never composed a document that resembles the one we are currently working on. It was challenging, yet I did not feel frustrated, as I am eager to learn new techniques in writing. This Unit has been very enjoyable, and I look forward to completing my Formal Report. Attached to this word document is a file of my Formal Report (Draft), please see below.

Enclosed:Taylor-Smith-Formal-Report-Draft

One comment