Letter of Application

203-1225 West 72nd Ave

Vancouver, B.C. V6P 3C5

January 21, 2019

English 301 99C Technical Writing

University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4

Dear Classmates of English 301,

Please consider me for your professional writing team by taking a moment to read through my litter of application. Currently, I am in my fourth year of the Bachelor of Arts program at the University of British Columbia. I will graduate in May of this year with a major in history and a minor in English. Prior to attending university I worked full time in construction before I decided to pursue a higher education to help me achieve my career goals. Most of my life I have been involved in hockey, beginning my playing career at the age of 6 and continuing through to the age of 17. After high school I continued to play at a less competitive level, and still play occasionally today. Being a part of a team atmosphere most of my childhood has really helped me later in life, as I tend to thrive in atmospheres involving teamwork. I am not afraid to take charge, and have often been complimented on my ability to push those around me to do there very best.

Currently, I am working full time as a kitchen manager at Milestones Restaurant. The restaurant industry has been very accommodating while I have been in university, and my ability to adapt to the team atmosphere that comes with restaurant work has allowed for my quick advances within the company. It takes a strong work ethic with a keen attention to detail to be able to work well within the restaurant industry, an attitude and skill-set that I have strengthened in my time there.

As a student majoring in history with a minor in English, technical writing skills are quite strong, as both fields are heavily dependent on reading and writing. Of course, I am always learning, as I believe it is not only important to be proud of our strengths, but also to be open-minded and accepting of our weaknesses. Perhaps, one of my weaknesses is I tend to write more than what is necessary, as I am learning focus on getting my point across more efficiently. By being open-minded towards criticism is how we can grow, which will in turn result in the creation of new skill-sets and strengths that we can apply to our personal and professional lives.

If you feel like we might be a good fit I would very much like to discuss further the opportunity to work together in the future. Thank you for taking the time to read my Letter of Application, you may contact me via email at taylor.a.smith199@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Taylor Smith

301 Taylor Smith Application Letter

One comment