Valve – No Leadership?

I was looking at a classmates blog, and found his post about the organizational structure of the company Valve very interesting. Basically, Valve is a successful video-game company with no managers. Everyone chooses their work and workers are paid according to peer rankings. It is a very unique flat organizational structure. Workers even have desks and chairs on wheels so that they have the freedom to move floors.

Though my classmate believes this model is very risky and inefficient, I think this model works well for the video game industry. Projects at Valve have to reach a “critical mass” of support before it is possible to truly carry out an idea and manufacture the game. While this allows a huge range of creativity, it also encourages teamwork in a field where people might be inclined to hoard ideas so that they can claim intellectual rights. The peer ranking payment system also encourages people to work together – the entire company a true team.

However, I agree that there are risks. Valve needs to be very careful in choosing employees that will positively contribute to the corporate culture or the structure could fall apart.  Individuals should not need to be told to work because they are self-motivated and innovative.

Valve handbook

Picture: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24205497

27. September 2013 by victoriayang
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment