Abstract

In recent years Physical and Health Education (PHE) has become a polarizing subject for students, parents, and teachers. What once was viewed as an essential part of a child’s development has been replaced by increased screen time, sedentary lifestyles, and increased rates of childhood obesity. Schools across North America are now dealing with the repercussions of a lack of physical literacy. With these cultural shifts taking place it is no wonder so many students have come to dislike physical education. My inquiry is directed at a) researching what cultural changes have taken place, both inside and outside the classroom, resulting in a decreased interest in health, physical literacy, and physical education and b) implementing strategies to present physical and health education in creative and innovative ways to spark student’s interest. I will set about doing this over the course of my long practicum (10 weeks) by having students periodically engage in reflection journals, using the Teaching Games for Understanding and Sport Education Model in the classroom, and incorporating team-building physical challenges into the learning environment. By the end of my practicum I hope to: have a more detailed understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a typical physical education class, use my research findings to influence my own teaching style, and develop effective strategies for engaging future learners.