Journal 3 – June 7, 2016 – Cutting trees by loppers!

We plan to set up two levels of thinning intensity, which is 1 m spaced and 3 m spaced. Adam and I selected trees that would remained in the stand. The selection was based on the growth condition of the trees. We tended to remain larger and healthy trees. The mean DBH of trees is around 4 to 5 cm, so it could be cut by loppers.

We carried heavy loppers into the forests, starting a tough time with trees. The road was rugged with lots of sharp stones, so my feet hurt. The pain was increased when I carried the heavy tools. The trees were so dense, and had lots of mosquitoes. Even though I sprayed the mosquito repellent, my face, hands, arms and legs were full of bites. Besides, the sun was scorching.  Oh, I hate cutting trees!

As the only female in the group, my suffering was less severe comparing to other fellows. Adam (my supervisor), Antonio (a visiting professor) and John (a ph.D student) all helped me a lot. They carried heavier tools and cut more trees. After this field trip, John told me that his waist pained with bruising. With sympathy and gratitude, I replied, ” me, too.”