Revising your Teaching Philosophy Statement
This is an opportunity to revise the teaching philosophy statement you wrote last term and meaningfully incorporate ideas from this course into that statement.
Due: Anytime between Monday, January 30-Wednesday, February 8, 2017
As you revise your teaching philosophy, do the following:
- Incorporate 3 or more key ideas from this course into your statement.
- Reduce number of idyllic statements that are not backed up by examples –help the reader “see” your teacher self.
- Tell me your revision story (imagine us having a conversation about your revisions).
Important points about the annotations
- Annotate your revised version with 4 or more comments (use a different colour font or use comment bubbles [Microsoft Word])
- Link your comments to at least 2 readings from the course. Include the full citation of the reading in your assignment (at bottom or elsewhere as relevant).
- Point out which key ideas from the course are reflected in your revised statement (they may have already been in Version 1)
- Briefly tell me about the significant revisions you have made and why you made these changes (i.e. what concepts/ideas/examples have you added that were not in your previous version or what you have modified)
- Do not tell me about changes you made to grammar, sentence structure, spelling etc
As I grade the assignment, I will be looking to see the extent to which you have addressed the above requests (and the more straightforward requests below).
- You may write this assignment in French or English.
- 500-600 words maximum (including annotations).
- Include the version from last term and the revised version.
- Try to see this as an opportunity—not a source of stress. This is not about creating a “perfect” statement; rather, it is about giving you an opportunity to consider the ideas from the course and determine how these can be used to further develop your teaching philosophy statement.
- Please be in touch if you have questions or want me to look at a first draft of your work.
Instructions for submitting the assignment:
Submit your assignment via email.
- include the teaching philosophy statement from last term and the revised version. If you are sending me two files, name the files:
- Last name TP 1 (e.g., Iqbal TP 1) [this would be the one from last term]
- Last name TP 2 [this would be the revised version]
- Use email subject line: EDST403 TP Assignment
If your teaching philosophy statement is online, you can simply send me the appropriate links.