Google+; gamechanger?

Like a lot of folks the announcement that Google was beta testing its latest kick at the social media can had my attention. And thanks to friends on the innerweb I landed an invite (eventually) and set myself up on Google+. It was a couple of days, however, until I could give it any sort of attention and ascertain to any extent: what it is, what it does, whether it’s useful to me.

I’m still not confident that I’ve got a handle on it…but I’ve got a handle on enough of it to be rather excited about it. Not iPad excited…but excited!  Here’s what I’ve gleaned so far:

• Allows you to share somethings with anyone who wishes to follow you, or certain groups or communities (circles ou «flux» en français) – sort of the best of Twitter and Facebook.
  • Integrates other Google tools (unsurprisingly) very well, including Picasa, Youtube, Calendar, Gmail and Chat…though the Hangout trumps Chat (see below).
  • The Hangout («bulle» en français) is a stand-by video conferencing tool that supports up to 10 participants–WOW!!!!
  • Allows you to trend concepts or interests via the Sparks (déclics) function

All of which hinges upon having a Google account. Which presents the first dilemma: what about those of us who have independent online personal and professional personae? Answer seems to be multiple Google+ accounts to go along with our multiple gmail accounts. But would’ve been cool to have this addressed too!

I came across this video (via G+ of course) that gives a more eloquent review of Google+:

Colleagues can add me via john dott patrick dott egan att gmail. dott com if they so wish!

About John P Egan

Learning technology professional.

10 Responses to Google+; gamechanger?