miscellania

Been playing catch-up on a number of fronts as of late. Mostly because I loathe not being on top of things; partially because I’m in the office 4 days this week, then on holidays for 11 days (w00t!). Consider this something of a drive-by post.

Interesting reading:

Ever heard of unschooling? Curious? This month’s University Affairs has a pretty good article on the subject. I’m was of mixed feelings: now I’m solidly in the opposed camp. Your 11 year old just learned to tie their shoelaces? Fail….

Student Evaluation of Teaching (SEoT) is an important aspect of ensuring the quality of both course/curriculum development and teaching in higher education. But what about evaluations halfway through a term? Some schools have formalized such processes, as indicated in an excellent article in the Chronicle. I’m not convinced–while I believe students need to have prominent voice in educational development I’m a big believer in learning-centred, rather than learner-centred pedagogy. Or andragogy, si vous preferiez…

Last week’s U21 Teaching and Learning Network meeting seemed to go rather well. In particular, CTLT’s Events team really outdid themselves. It helps when we work in a great unit in a great university.  Anything involving the Liu Institute and Museum of Anthropology can’t be bad either.

Edits for the January 2012 offering of ETEC565A are largely finished. Largely.

Ich habe kein Nachrichten mehr.  Except I’m not failing German…though I’m not sure I’m learning German either!

About John P Egan

Learning technology professional.

2 Responses to miscellania