Blog

I blog about educational development, facilitation, and teaching. 

Please click on the tags at the bottom of the page (in the black shaded area) if you would like to find a post on a particular theme. For example, to find posts I have tagged with “educational development”, you would click on that word at the bottom of this page.

I call this blog the “staPhDemic,” a word I use to describe being a staff person with an academic background (ie PhD) who enjoys academic pursuits (educational development, teaching, research, writing). 

Photo credit: Colors by Jon Cornwell (CC BY)

“I don’t read my student evaluations of teaching”

At a recent meeting about the evaluation of teaching, a faculty member bravely disclosed: “I don’t read my student evaluations of teaching”. I held my breath as I gauged the reaction of the other committee members, all of whom were in positions of authority/power in their department, faculties, or schools when it came to the […]

Everyday leadership: How podcasts have contributed to my career transition

Everyday leadership: How podcasts have contributed to my career transition My career interests have expanded and shifted over the past ~2 years and it has taken me until now to start becoming public about this. Writing this post is a small act of courage: I am claiming and making known my in-transition and growing professional […]

Peer review of teaching videos

I’m excited to share a series of videos on the formative peer review of teaching. The purpose of these videos is to enhance understanding of, and skills for, the peer review of teaching. These videos are for both reviewers and reviewees. The videos can be found on the UBC Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology’s […]

Should I get a PhD?

If you are an educational developer, you may be debating whether you want to go back to school and pursue doctoral studies. In this post, I share my perspective and experience on that issue in the hopes that doing so may help colleagues who are grappling with the question of “Should I get a PhD?” Early […]

Tags

Academic writing assessment big ideas blogging classroom assessment techniques coaching competencies course design educational developer's portfolio educational development evaluation of teaching facilitation feedback help helping ISSoTL ISSoTL2016 leadership learner-centered teaching Liberating Structures mastermind group meetings mentorship mid-course evaluation mindfulness motivation peer review POD process consultation productivity professional growth program evaluation self-regulated learning SGIF significant conversations significant networks skills small teaching social network theory SoTL student peer feedback teaching teamwork threshold concepts workshop facilitation; facilitation