Blog

Academic writing assessment big ideas blogging classroom assessment techniques coaching competencies course design educational developer's portfolio educational development evaluation of teaching facilitation feedback help helping ISSoTL ISSoTL2016 leadership learner-centered teaching Liberating Structures mastermind group meetings mentorship mid-course evaluation mindfulness motivation peer review POD process consultation productivity professional growth program evaluation self-regulated learning SGIF significant conversations significant networks skills small teaching social network theory SoTL student peer feedback teaching teamwork threshold concepts workshop facilitation; facilitation

I blog about educational development, facilitation, and teaching. 

As of March 2018, I am blogging more regularly at isabeauiqbal.com (my coaching site). I will still occasionally blog here.

****

Please click on the tags at the bottom of the page (in the black shaded area) if you would like to find a post on a particular theme. For example, to find posts I have tagged with “educational development”, you would click on that word at the bottom of this page.

Photo credit: Colors by Jon Cornwell (CC BY)

Does good student-faculty rapport enhance student learning?

Over the past few months, I have collaborated with faculty members from the Faculty of Arts to do two panel presentations on the topic of student-faculty rapport. As I prepared for those sessions, I looked into the connections between learning and student-faculty rapport. For those who are impatient to know whether rapport can enhance student […]

Insights from facilitating outside of higher education

As someone who facilitates workshops regularly, it is a treat to watch/experience someone else’s strong facilitation. Last month, I had the occasion to collaborate with Isabel Budke to offer Leadership Principles, a 3-part course at Vantage Point for those in the non-profit sector. Isabel facilitated the first and last session, and I did the middle […]

How do young undergraduate students learn best?

It should come as no surprise to me that the longer I work at UBC, the younger the students look. I can’t tell the difference between someone who is 17 and 26 and even photos of newly appointed faculty members make me feel “old”. I frequently wonder how the generational gap between educators and students […]

Ice-breaker for facilitation skills workshop

Last week, Lucas Wright and I co-facilitated a session titled “Facilitating Teaching: Approaches and Skills”. For our ice-breaker, we led a speed-friending* activity in which participants had 45 seconds each to respond to the questions below before they switched partners and answered the next question with a new partner. The questions we developed all pertain […]

Tags