Blog

I blog about educational development, facilitation, and teaching. 

Please click on the tags at the bottom of the page (in the black shaded area) if you would like to find a post on a particular theme. For example, to find posts I have tagged with “educational development”, you would click on that word at the bottom of this page.

I call this blog the “staPhDemic,” a word I use to describe being a staff person with an academic background (ie PhD) who enjoys academic pursuits (educational development, teaching, research, writing). 

Photo credit: Colors by Jon Cornwell (CC BY)

Documenting the impact of educational leadership in faculty member careers

For just under a year, I have been involved in a collaborative project concerning educational leadership (EL) in faculty member careers. This initiative involves (1) clarifying what EL is in the context of faculty member careers and (2) helping faculty members articulate the evidence and impact of their EL activities.The people with whom I am […]

The Ladder of Accountability

I was recently introduced to the Ladder of Accountability and think it could be a useful group facilitation tool. As the name implies, the Ladder of Accountability can be used to assess the level of accountability in a group. It can help teams examine an issue that they are dealing with and make some intentional […]

Course Design Intensive: Evaluation

As do several other teaching and learning centres, ours offers a Course Design Intensive (CDI). During this 3-day course, participants make progress on the design or redesign a course for post-secondary students. Since 2015, I have been leading a program evaluation of our CDI. The process and methodology have been messy and inconsistent…and have taught me a […]

Group facilitation

In this post, I reflect on a 3-day course titled “Effective Group Facilitation” which I took last month and that was facilitated by Julian Griggs of Dovetail Consulting (see note 1). In some cases, my reflections will encompass aspects of the course which spanned the three days; in other cases, I will write about a single […]

Tags

Academic writing assessment big ideas blogging classroom assessment techniques coaching competencies course design educational developer's portfolio educational development evaluation of teaching facilitation feedback help helping ISSoTL ISSoTL2016 leadership learner-centered teaching Liberating Structures mastermind group meetings mentorship mid-course evaluation mindfulness motivation peer review POD process consultation productivity professional growth program evaluation self-regulated learning SGIF significant conversations significant networks skills small teaching social network theory SoTL student peer feedback teaching teamwork threshold concepts workshop facilitation; facilitation