Blog

I blog about educational development, facilitation, and teaching. 

As of March 2018, I am blogging more regularly at isabeauiqbal.com (my coaching site). I will still occasionally blog here.

****

Please click on the tags at the bottom of the page (in the black shaded area) if you would like to find a post on a particular theme. For example, to find posts I have tagged with “educational development”, you would click on that word at the bottom of this page.

Photo credit: Colors by Jon Cornwell (CC BY)

• Using a coach-approach to guide instructional consultations

Using a coach-approach to guide instructional consultations

Written by: Isabeau Iqbal and Natasha Kenny   We’ve been thinking a lot about the relationships between our coaching and educational development practices. We recently joined a group of educational developers to explore the link between coaching and individual consultations in our work in higher education, at the Educational Development Community in Canada’s (2024) conference.…

• EDCC 2024 Online Conference (Day 2)

EDCC 2024 Online Conference (Day 2)

Some brief notes on my learning and main take-aways from Day 2 of the EDCC Conference  (February 28 and 29, 2024) For Day 1 reflections, see earlier post here.  DAY 2 Opening Panel What stood out: There is more diversity in ED as compared to before; in the past our role focussed on 1:1 work…

• EDCC 2024 Online Conference (Day 1)

EDCC 2024 Online Conference (Day 1)

Some brief notes on my learning and main take-aways from the Educational Development Community in Canada Conference (February 28 and 29, 2024). DAY 1 When UDL Meets EDI: The role of educational developers in bottom-up implementation in higher education What stood out: Facilitators did an access check Facilitators modelled UDL in many ways and provided…

• Ways of Doing: Feminist Educational Development (article notes)

Ways of Doing: Feminist Educational Development (article notes)

Using the “What?”, “So what?” “Now what?” approach, I will reflect on an article I read yesterday to (1) help me process my learning and (2) share with you, in the spirit of community and ongoing support for each other’s growth. What? Gravett, E. O., & Bernhagen, L. (2018). Ways of doing: Feminist educational development. To…

• Reflections from Studio23

Reflections from Studio23

I recently attended Studio23 “Reignite your teaching and facilitation practice“, an in-person event organized by BC Campus and held in Vancouver, BC. There was a time when I didn’t need to specify “in person”. Now, it matters! In fact, this was a major draw for me: I relished the thought of being with colleagues in…