Module C: Emerging Genres

In this module we are examing the role of infomation visual softwares for the purpose of knowledge representation and knowledge diffusion. Animations, simulations, and modeling tools can help teachers create learning environments in which students can “play’ with and examine the concepts and processes  in a multimodal fashion. Initially I was in doubtt and a few questions had plagued me :

• Do these flashy technology tools  have no pedagogical bearings?
  • If they have pedagogical value, how should they be applied?

Examining these tools and trying to create activities with them did answer my two quesions…

Applicability of Information Visualization Software

From simulations, applets, and animations we forayed into the realm of  networked communities. Realizing the affordances of the Web many museums and educational organizations have created networked communities which provide the platform for students to explore math and science concepts in the virtual  or real world. To unlock the knowledge in these communities teachers need to embed them in sound pedagogy.

Authentic Learning using Networked Communities

Our last frontier was the world of Embodied Learning, Hand-held Wireless Technologies, Virtual Realities and Haptics. Embodied learning made a lot of sense – practical sense. Took cognitive scientists so long to figure it out! If they had just listened to Gardner and the Constructivists! From among all the other mentioned technologies the Apps stood out for me. The reason being – recent acqusition of Ipads at home and school and having played with some of them. The potential is huge. I felt like a kid in a candy store as I examined Apps and their potential for use in my teaching. Here is why…

It’s an App world afterall !