Inquiry G

Online Games

This inquiry ebbs from the March 28th discussion about role of online games in science and math education.

Here is my post….

There are many like James Gee who totally support this tool of educational games. Check this TED forum  with embedded videos.

I see gaming similar to any other technology being embedded in learning – and use it in the T-GEM process where the game would be a part of the explore. The distraction of the game – I see it as the distraction of any other simulation, app etc.. and we have to plan activities wherein students will be able the extract the content hidden within the game. For example my students had tested a game for the ministry about careers in B.C. Initially I was unsure if any learning would happen. Then- as an experiment –  I attached a blog discussion to this activity where they had to discuss which job tokens they had won and others had to ask questions and make comments about that job. It was great to see students learn about different jobs and what qualifications were required and where in BC they had to travel. The students loved the game and I covered Career Prep outcomes.