Reflections on the App Discussion

by Jasmeet Virk ~ April 5th, 2012. Filed under: Module C. Emerging Genres of Teaching, Learning and Digital Technologies.

Like other mobile technology, Apps also found acceptance amongst many. Marc (March, 26) asked some thought provoking questions about whether the effectiveness of apps results from it single use, its ability to allow touch and mobility. I agree that I found students more raptly involved in apps than computer activities. It could be the novelty factor and the way you can hold an Ipad closer – like a book. It is definitely more intimate.

The wow factor of such technologies is an added bonus. David, Steph, and I agreed that while it is the initial hook, it also allows for play –which can be very productive and promote higher level thinking.

I think Apps are making huge inroads into education as we see more Ipads at schools.  There are many educational apps available for a variety of topics and different age groups of learners. The bottom line though is still the same – for the tool to be effective it needs to be a part of a meaningful learning process.

A question I  have is – does this learning style work for all?