It’s midterm season, so I go on vacation.

October 14th, 2011 § 3 comments

Literally.

Well, it was for a family wedding (my dad’s cousin/my godmother), and you can never really avoid those.

I ended up missing three days worth of courses, including a midterm. I will leave the ranting of how difficult it is to study for a past midterm/learn new material after said midterm simultaneously, but to be honest, the trip was amazing. I really, really, REALLY needed it. I swore to myself I’d bring all my study materials and do studying during my free time, but I spent more time actually having fun, which is always a good thing.

As always, my family and I drove from our humble home in Surrey to San Francisco, where a good chunk of my dad’s side of the family lives. I’ve been to San Fran countless times by now- mostly with terribly sad memories (two funerals in a row and all), but with this latest trip, it being for a wedding and all, there was a certain atmosphere to everything- one of solemn happiness, hope and remembrance. :)

Below, under the cut are some photos I’ve taken on the trip- well, during the long drive, where most of the boredom came along. :P I actually forgot to bring my phone half the time for when I was in San Fran- I didn’t want to end up texting back with roaming rates in place.

I went a bit Instagram-nuts- I’ve actually just discovered it recently and as a self-confessed Photoshop lover, it fascinates me.

My family and I almost always long drive to places. We’ve driven to Winnipeg and back (48 hours woo \o/), and after sitting in the same car for a day seeing endless amounts of prairie, while listening to Season 1 of Glee on endless loop or trying to catch a Top 40 radio station, I feel like I can long drive (well, have my parents long drive me) to ANYWHERE.

I’m pretty sure this was somewhere in Washington- Mount Shasta.
My 14-year-old sister is a bit of a kid still- we’re both obsessed with Mukmuk, and she brings this plushie of hers everywhere. It distresses my parents, but I love it.
I don’t even know what this is… but this was me before the wedding ceremony, in full clad make-up and semi-formal dress.
Driving at night… close to Portland here now, I think.
Souvenirs from the trip! Flowers from the wedding and Ghirardelli hot chocolate powder (my absolute fave stop in San Fran).

My top 5 favourite things about San Francisco are as follows:

1. Ghirardelli Chocolate Company and everything they do. To me, they’re always a must-stop. Al. Ways. Never will the ice cream fudge sundae get old.
2. Jollibee! The Filipino fast food restaurant that pretty much defined my childhood. They have branches all over the world now, including one in San Fran, but none in Canada. So a stop in the US = stop at the nearest Jollibee. It’s like a trip down memory lane, purchasing the same meal I loved to order since I was 7.
3. Fisherman’s Wharf. Cool things always happen there! When we were there last week, it was Fleet Week, so there were practices for air shows (so scary, but SO COOL) and handsome navy officers strutting around in badass uniforms. Plus, there’s the close up view of Alcatraz that reminds my sister to visit there next time.
4. Family! My parents are young, so it just happens that my dad’s cousins, who live in San Fran, are in their late 20s. This makes for an interesting dynamic when my entire family and I hang out with them. They’re young enough to know what will entertain my sister and I, but old enough to have solid family time with my parents. They always know where to take us and don’t fail to make us laugh. :)
5. Ocean Beach. What a GORGEOUS place. It’s an epitome of the things California’s known for, but at the same time it’s so new and refreshing and just lovely. It blew my mind when I saw it the first time.

Alright, I shall sign off now. I have one last midterm left- my make-up one, go figure, and October is proving to be a veerryyy busy, but ultimately rewarding (I hope) month. I hope it will be the same for you as well!

– Jennine

§ 3 Responses to It’s midterm season, so I go on vacation."