Final Reflection

Now that the term has come to a close, it is reflective to look back at the assignments of ENGL 301 and discuss how this course has changed my approach to professional writing. At the beginning of the term, I naively expressed my wishes to write in a concise manner and to become confident in my communication skills. However, through self-editing and peer reviews, I learned so much more about my writing style that revealed a great deal about myself. Most importantly, I discovered that what I thought were my writing weaknesses really stemmed from other sources, and I could learn techniques to help improve these weaknesses. Additionally, ENGL 301 gave me the chance to analyze my skills and see how these strengths could support my future goals.

Continue reading “Final Reflection”

Unit 2 Reflection: Exploring LinkedIn & Drafting Reports

Creation of LinkedIn Profile

Assignment 2.2 involved creating a LinkedIn profile in order to present ourselves in a professional manner and network with people of similar interest.  In the midst of generic resumes and profiles, it was a challenge to create a profile that not only presented professional mannerisms, but also personality and character.

Continue reading “Unit 2 Reflection: Exploring LinkedIn & Drafting Reports”

Unit 1 Reflection: Writing Technical Definitions

The purpose of Assignment 1.3 was to define a technical term using three different defining techniques. During this task, it was important to keep in mind our audience and ensure that non-technical readers could understand the terminology. I chose the word “band structure,” and created a scenario in which a professor wanted a first year physics class to understand the relevance of this definition for classifying materials.

Continue reading “Unit 1 Reflection: Writing Technical Definitions”