About Me

Nice to meet you!  My name is Alexander, I am studying a B.Sc. (Computer Science, Genetics, Conservation), and a Master of Management at The University of British Columbia.

I was lucky enough to grow up on the west coast of British Columbia, and I have been playing in the ocean since I could crawl.   Growing up I would spend endless hours looking at the creatures in the inter-tidal zone and swimming with my eyes open underwater so I could sea the fish.  To this day I am happiest on the ocean: either surfing, swimming, sailing, fishing, or just poking around.  I have been teaching sailing for over 7 years, and I like helping others fall in love with the ocean.

I’ve always had a fiery passion for science, first inspired by Ms. Frizzle and The Magic School Bus. (To this day I believe Ms. Frizzle taught me more than my school science courses through grade 9.) In university I spent a 2.5 years building super sonic rockets with the UBC Rocket Engineering Design Team.

Recently my work has shifted into the tech sector, where I built software solutions for the BC Center for Disease Control and SAP.   I am excited to find ways to combine my passion for oceans with my technical and quantitative skills.

Please reach out and say hello! (Here’s my LinkedIn) I am always happy to talk about sailing, surfing, rockets, oceans, and anything science related.  🙂

Figure 1. Alexander having fun at the bow during a gale.