Gillian Thiel (2L)

Hello Class of 2023 and welcome to Allard! My name is Gillian Thiel and I am an incoming 2L student. This upcoming year, you’ll find me working as the Communications Director for the Environmental Law Group and participating in the International Justice and Human Rights Clinic.

This past year, I served as the Academic Representative to the UBC Law Students Society for my small group (Gee!). I also participated in many of the Environmental Law Group’s events, including the Environmental Law Negotiation Competition, volunteered for the Allard Women’s Caucus, and ran with the Allard Run Club. In my spare time, I loved getting out for runs on the sea wall and exploring all the great food options Vancouver has to offer. If you have questions about any of the above (including running routes and restaurants), please feel free to ask!

Your 1L experience will be different than mine, for obvious reasons, but there are still many great things you will experience in 1L – whether it’s online or in the classroom. First, the diversity amongst your peers. Everyone you meet will have a different background and you’ll make some pretty cool new friends! This will also lead to really interesting discussions about the law, both in and out of class.

Secondly, you will cover a breadth of topics in 1L. You may not like them all, but it’s interesting to learn about so many different areas of the law. It was certainly a welcome change for someone like me who spent long days analyzing water samples in a lab prior to law school!

Finally, you will have many opportunities to get involved. It is easy to get caught up in readings but be sure to take advantage of all the great things going on around you. There is always something new and exciting going on at Allard, and next year will be no exception! That being said, it is always important to keep a balance. For me, that meant scheduling in “non-Allard” time every week for my own hobbies and to spend time with family and friends.

For now though, rest, recharge, and enjoy the rest of your summer! I’m looking forward to meeting you virtually and/or in person (“when public health recommendations allow”) soon!