Business Ethics: Social Media at Work

When I started Comm 101, I learned about the importance of ethics in business. That is why I decided to look at Chris MacDonald’s blog about social media ethics in the workplace, at the end of the course. In his blog, Chris talks about social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and various companies’ policies of what employees can and cannot say.  As well, he discusses whether companies should have the right to look at employees’ profiles and twitters, and see what they are saying about the company. Chris comes to the conclusion that it is important to have guidelines for social media usage, but that companies need to recognize that social media is not going away, and they must adapt to the times. I fully agree with Chris. I believe free speech is important, and people should be able to hold their own personal opinions. However, I think it is an issue for a company when their employees start criticizing the company, or act inappropriately online. It reflects badly on the company. For this reason, I believe employees should be able to freely use social media, but the company should set guidelines. This way both the employees and the company will be happy.