Introduction

Hey everyone, my name is Clayton Dang and I am in my second year, intending to major in Accounting. Like many of you, I am taking this course because it is required as part of my STT. However, I am excited to learn more about effective marketing, as it is a subject that will be useful in all walks of life, whether it be in a work setting or when you are marketing yourself to a future employer. Everyone has had experience being marketed to as a consumer. An experience that comes to mind for me was when a representative from UBC came to my high school to sell the graduating class on the benefit of getting your degree at UBC and talked to us about some of the different programs available. Another common experience is when a sales associate at a retail store promotes the latest arrivals, and tries to tell you about the features of an article of clothing. In terms of work experience in the marketing field, I have had experience in a call centre, where I worked as a telemarketer to try and get people to subscribe with the newspaper that we were selling. I also worked as a sales representative, where I conducted sales presentations with clients(it was by appointment basis) to try and sell them on a product that I was promoting. My ongoing involvement with the UBC Accounting Club also requires me to promote the club and its benefits, as well as any upcoming events that the club hosts.

I have many favourite ads, but my favourite one would have to be the Old Spice-Questions ad. For those of you who have not seen it, please check it out via this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTIowBF0kE. I love all of the Old Spice ads, and found this one very funny the first time I saw it on TV. Its humerous and  does a good job of associating Old Spice with the ideal man.

I love to stay fit and travel. I run and visit the gym for weightlifting several times a week, and aim to keep this habit up for the rest of my life! In terms of travelling, I have been to Los Angeles, Cancun, Hawaii, Vietnam, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic. Places I want to visit are New York, Tokyo, Dubai, Paris and Hong Kong. Upon completion of my BComm, I have plans to travel around Europe and Asia with my friends and family.

1 Response to Introduction

1. phaedra says:

Welcome Clayton and I am glad to hear that you see understanding marketing as a life skill. It would be fascinating to talk to you when you have done all of the travelling above and compare it to what you learned in school – where was the best education!