This recently posted news article points out that a lot of workers believe that their directors aren’t paid with the amount that accords to the directors’ performance. While working in a job market, employees usually weigh their status in the company by comparing the salaries in peers or superiors. They are easily dissatisfied if the reference object receives a higher salary and shows unimpressive performance.

While finding theories that link to motivation, Equity Theory shows that employees compare themselves with another group of individuals inside the employee’s organization. Feeling unequal might induce the employees to work with less effort. During my work in MUJI, my task includes introducing products and arranging goods. I feel extremely unfair because the head of the internship only regulates our work and earns a higher salary. After learning organizational behavior, my situation can be explained by Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs which salary and rewards are concerned as a basic need. I’m still on the stage of immature thinking. Without satisfying the fundamental need, one can never reach the upper level which satisfies someone internally.

Employees pay too much attention to the substantive performance of executives while ignoring the impact of executives to workers. Directors’ leadership, spirit, working mode influence employees intangibly. In order to alleviate the gap between executives and employees, I believe that the company can identify what the executive can bring to the organization. If he/she does worth high payment, then the company can explain it to employees by emphasizing the importance of the executive’s spirit and leadership. Using extrinsic motivators like reward can stimulate workers to eliminate the feeling of injustice and meanwhile work hard.

I found it interesting to use organizational behavior’s theories to explain things. As for equity that appears in different salary, the fact can explain people’s different judging direction and whether they are intrinsic or extrinsic.

Word Count: 307

1. “Staff Pay Gap ‘affecting Motivation’.”BBC News. BBC, 18 Dec. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35130326

1. Desautels, Dr. Lori. “Addressing Our Needs: Maslow Comes to Life for Educators and Students.”Edutopia. N.p., 06 Feb. 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2017.

https://www.edutopia.org/blog/addressing-our-needs-maslow-hierarchy-lori-desautels