M1-P.1 Online spaces which promote academic success and community for Indigenous Students

M1-P1

The title is a little rough for my first blog post. I work one-on-one and with Indigenous students in their classes, help work out post-secondary paths, alter/adapt assignments, meet with parents and teachers as a mediator, meet with district representatives, and try to create a community between all of the different nations our students come from. This is a very rough description.

Students are connected to social media but like this week’s readings, I don’t know if these spaces are reflective or respective of Indigenous ways of knowing and being. I started looking at Twitter to see what representation looks like and came across an article on CBC “Meet some of the influencers of #NativeTwitter”. This hashtag curates a catalogue of Indigenous artists, writers and thinkers. Chelsea Vowel is one of these influencers and @Indigneousxca is a twitter account she created highlighting experiences  of Indigenous peoples across Canada. I am interested in bringing these voices into the lives of our students. I also want to recreate a community amongst my students where they can share their own hashtags. This article has me thinking of ways to create a small community that can share shared histories and realities to draw our community together.