M1 P2: Holo-Demonstrations

An ongoing discussion in the class has surrounded the question, How can we reconcile first peoples theories of learning with larger technological goals in education? I found an interesting article about Holo-Demonstrations. This involves the use of Holograms to speak at rallies, making it easier for the image of a speaker to be seen over large spaces (multiple holograms can be projected.)

The demonstration in this green peace article was a campaign speaking to Chase Bank, encouraging them to defund oil projects which interfere with indigenous land all over North America. Justin Morris, the leader of this demonstration, had this to say about using technology to spread the groups message:

This day in age, all the technology and distractions that we have in the world, the traditional tactics . . . kind of falls flat in people ears. Because of this, extraction of fossil fuels and the damage it does to Indigenous communities has been ignored for far too long. That is why we set out to amplify the voices of Indigenous peoples who are demanding that large corporate banks like JPMorgan Chase defund big oil projects. [Using this technology] was an effective and efficient way of reaching and expressing our message to the world.

While there are many ways in which first peoples theories of learning are contradicted by technology (place and placelessness for example), it cannot be ignored that there are opportunities to reconcile these contradictions through innovation. I think this is especially the case with Oral Storytelling.

Click the image below to learn more about Holo-Demonstrations and how they can be used to amplify indigenous voices around the world.

Weeks, Megan, and Megan Weeks. “Technology in Activism: Amplifying Indigenous Injustice.” Greenpeace USA, www.greenpeace.org/usa/stories/technology-in-activism-amplifying-indigenous-injustice/.

1. Thanks for your article Benjamin! I haven’t researched much about Holograms but I remember when there was a hologram of Tupac at Coachella, it was the talk of the event and everyone at my school was talking about it too. Putting that type of buzz into demonstrations with an actual positive cause is a fantastic use of the technology. I agree with you that we need to stop just looking at how First Peoples theories of learning contradict with technology and instead, look for opportunities to see how the technology can help innovate the learning.

2. Thank you for this. In our Indigenous Gathering Place on campus we do not have a “fire” which is a very important aspect of the Stó:lō longhouse. I had suggested we have a hologram fire. People looked at me like I was off my rocker. Maybe there is a hologram in my future yet. 🙂