Mod. 1/Post 1: Raven’s Cry

My mom moved from Edmonton to Sandspit in Haida Gwaii (that is a story unto itself).  Before myself and my family went to visit, I wanted everyone to know something about the history of where we were going and I chose this book for all of us to read.  This fictionalized retelling of first contact for the Haida Nation and it’s subsequent fall to near extinction was written by Christine Harris, a canadian writer who worked with cultural anthropologist Wilson Duff and Haida ancestors to make sure the work was ethnographically accurate.

My family found this book so readable and I was surprised about how much information my daughter and son remembered; especially when we went to the Skidegate Museum.  It also gave them a first hand look at what first contact did to Indigenous Nations, not only in Haida Gwaii but across the continent.

One comment

1. Hi Greg, thanks for sharing this and reminding us that we should really learn about the places we visit. That is so important as every place has its own history and present story. I like that we can do this through reading fiction, too.