M2 Entry 1: Culturally Inclusive EdTech

As I was researching ways to bring Indigenous knowledge into the classroom, I wanted to look into the potential negative impacts of technology and/or focuses when doing so. My previous posts have outlined the positive outcomes of using technology and STEM education to bring in Indigenous cultures but I wanted to explore more on how to carefully and mindfully implement a culture-based STEM curriculum. What are some things that should be avoided? How would I analyze if the process has been done the correct way?

Dyson et al., (2007) outline some guidelines and focuses for developing culturally inclusive education. In particular, I would like to share these three focuses:

• Enable learning in wholes
  • Encourage observations and imitation
  • Utilize vernacular metaphors and languages

I liked that these focuses were wide enough to be implemented in different contexts but most importantly, that they emphasize bringing in the community, the region, and the whole place instead of the individuality of the cultures.

Other resources:

1. The Impact of Digital Technology on Indigenous Peoples
  2. The Impact of Internet Technology on First Nation People Living on Remote Northern Ontario Reservations by Jennifer Taylor

Dyson, L. E., Hendriks, M. A. N., Grant, S., & InfoSci-Books – Copyright 2007. (2007). Information technology and indigenous people. Information Science Pub. (an imprint of Idea Group Inc.).

One comment

1. Thank you Seo-Whi Kwon. I am going to have to learn about AR and VR if I am going to keep up…