M2 Entry 4: Ideas from Indigenous Peoples Literature

Stories related to place and nature are a significant part of Indigenous cultures and traditions so I thought, is there a way to bring in Indigenous literature, stories, or languages into STEAM-related topics? Is there a way to bring in current events related to Indigenous peoples to promote Citizen Science? Here are some websites l’ve found that could be useful:

I have also noticed on my App Store, there was a story dedicated to learning an Indigenous language. Here are some screenshots of iOS apps related to Indigenous languages. I have to say, I was surprised to see so many of them! I think these apps are not limited to STEM/STEAM content but something that could be applied in all subject fields.

1. I am interested in how you are thinking about using these websites to promote STEM/STEAM. Are you going to find examples of Science, Use of Technology, Engineering ideas, or How Mathematics is taught and then bring that to your classroom?

1. Hi Tyler,
      Yes, I am thinking about using Indigenous stories/storytelling with STEM knowledge as one of the methods. Still need to do more research as I have very rough ideas so far!

2. Likewise Seo-Whi, I’m also quite surprised at just how many of them there are! This single app appears to have so much cultural value in it, it’s almost overwhelming. I imagine it can be a versatile tool for instructors of Indigenous languages to leverage in their classrooms. Are there any apps listed in these screenshots that are of particular interest to you? I might explore Sprig Library and Innu Conversation, more for my own personal interest as I’m not a teacher.

Thanks so much for sharing!

1. Hi Amy,
      I was also looking at Spring Library along with Kwak’wala and Nisga’a. I’m excited to try out these apps!

3. I think I am going to have to get one of the grand kids to take me to the app store… Thank you Seo-Whi.