M2, Entry 1: Potlatch as Pedagogy

Module 2: Stereotypes and the Commodification of Indigenous Social Reality

Entry 1: Potlatch as Pedagogy

This book was an informative and inspiring read, written by Sara Davidson and her father, Robert Davidson. I listened to Sara speak and she spoke about her father who authored the book through his storytelling and was given author credits for his oral contributions. The book takes the principle of the Haida culture and presents a model of learning through the lens of the Haids culture. The result is a holistic approach to education. 

This book will provide some ideas for my research project of weaving Indigenous easy sof knowing, doing, and being into the curriculum I teach. 

Find it here: https://www.portageandmainpress.com/product/potlatch-as-pedagogy/ 

Davision, S. F., & Davidson, R. (2018). Potlatch as pedagogy: Learning through ceremony. Portage & Main Press.

One comment

1. I remember attending several potlatches as a kid at my mom’s school, where different cultures mingled with one another, sharing stories, history, food and entertainment and it was one of the most memorable moments I have growing up. Fast forward to my teaching practicum almost 15 years ago, I decided to create my own teaching unit on the Indigineous culture, incorporating Indigenous books, artwork, and a man by the name of Richard, who visited our class to teach us how to make cedar bracelets and setting up a fieldtrip at the X̲áːytem Longhouse Interpretive Centre in Mission. At the end of the unit my students and I celebrated by hosting a mulitcultural potlatch with bannock bread and foods from different cultures, to celebrate our unique heritages and to acknowledge how connected we all are.