M2: P1: Knowing where you are

In my exploration of ways that Indigenous Knowledge can inform educational best practices with the added challenge of online delivery and learning, I discovered (new to me) that Native-land.ca has a teacher’s guide with guidance around the map.

I have had the positive experience in Zoom meetings and webinars where the native-land.ca link is shared in the chat and expectations are set at the start that participants are to include a land acknowledgement of where they are and who’s land they are on when the introduce themselves either on microphone or in the chat. Native-land.ca provides a resource so that attendees that might not know the answer can look it up and participate. It encourages and scaffolds online learners to move beyond “I don’t know” and to take a first step, take chances, and make mistakes. The teacher guide explains that the map is not perfect but works to encourage territory awareness in everyday speech and action.

https://native-land.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/teacher_guide_2019_final.pdf