Module 2: Post 5 – The Learning Circle

The Learning Circle is a resource full of classroom activities on First Nations in Canada. There are six units in this booklet: storytelling, the seasons, sharing, colours, games, and National Aboriginal Day. All of these units would be an amazing resource to use in  my classroom. However, I want to take a closer look at the Storytelling Unit. Throughout this unit, students will get to understand the importance of Indigenous storytelling. During this unit, there is an activity that focuses on a Cree Story about a big fish who ate a granddaughter.  Then the teachers will have a discussion with their students about what this story taught them, they will get to role-play the story, students will get to gather items from outside to create their own story. Then the last activity focuses on an Ojibway story called the Lilly Root. Educators can then do what they did with the first story through a variety of activities. There are questions provided for a class discussion.

These stories are exactly what I want to use in my classroom. I love how there are activities that go with each story. I would not just stop at the storytelling unit. I would absolutely complete this entire booklet!