M3: P1 – Google Arts & Culture

This was a tough one for me to find, and in the end post. My first thought and search was for Google Expeditions, a Google app that offers virtual reality and augmented reality educational tours: well, I might say, โ€œofferedโ€. This app is going to be discontinued as of June 30, 2021 – next week! Turns out that much of what the app offered is moving over to Google Arts & Culture. Unfortunately, unlike Expeditions where students could use Google Cardboard and a mobile device to navigate through virtual worlds, Google Arts & Culture simply offers virtual tours. Regardless, some of the Google Arts & Culture tours offer an interesting means to teach and tell a story, and some are Indigenous. However, I do find it difficult to post this as these Indigenous stories and teachings are lumped together with arts & culture in an archival way, and not in a continuous, contemporary way that this knowledge should be displayed.

One comment

1. Hi Neal,

Thank you for sharing this information. I wasn’t even aware that there was such a platform available through Google! Too bad it’s discontinued ๐Ÿ™ This brings about the issue of how do we know what’s even available to educators, if some of us have never even heard of these amazing resources. In the beginning of this class I began a resource folder, and I feel like I have so much I can share with my learners and colleagues.

I wish we had a more general go to space for all educators, so it is easier to find some of the amazing curriculum content that I have found and received here and would never have been weary of, if not for this course.

Thanks Neal ๐Ÿ™‚