Module 4 Post 5: Mutual Respect and Fairness

diversity-hands

Photo from United 4 Equality

There were hundreds of people gathered at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights on December 11, 2019 to learn about what a decolonized Canada looks like. Experts (Indigenous and non-Indigenous) discussed mutual respect and fairness between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians. A few take-aways for me include (University of Manitoba, 2019):

• There is a power differential between colonizers and colonized people. The colonizer has to give up power for decolonization to take place. We shouldn’t be afraid to share power. In reality, people don’t like to give up power.
    • I feel uncomfortable learning that I am in a position of power as a colonizer. However, it is important for me to recognize this to ensure I share this power and I don’t abuse it.
  • Indigenous and non-Indigenous parents have different concerns. For example, Indigenous people may worry about sending their child to school with a rip in their clothing. We should all have the freedom to worry about normal things.
  • Having a future where all cultures can flourish.
  • Colonizer and colonized are both affected by colonization.
  • We need to deconstruct the colonizers view of the world.
  • There is hope – we have technology, knowledge, and thinkers. We can solve hate, anger, distrust, and fear. All it takes is the will of the people.
  • Cultural competency is good but it’s just the surface.

University of Manitoba. (2019 December, 13). Visionary conversations. What does a decolonized Canada look like? [Video]. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSYPfF3iuI

United 4 Equality. https://united4equality.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/sisterhood-equalitys-call-to-action/

1. Wow, you have been busy Emma!

I too have been struggling with learning that I come from a position of power as a colonizer. I half Japanese and half-Dutch. My dad was born in Canada and my mom was born in Holland and I was born in BC. This is the first time in my life I have ever even considered myself “a colonizer”? (Question mark is on purpose).

I am taking an anti-racism course. We are reading a book by Marie Battiste called “Decolonizing Education” and I thought I would mention it to you because it talks about many of the same things you mention here in your post.

1. Hello Tyler,
      Thanks for your thoughts. Do you think colonization is still happening today?
      Emma