OECD – Supporting Indigenous Students

Module 3 – Entry 3

Tyler Ohashi

OECD – Supporting Indigenous Students

As mentioned in my previous post, our school district highly values the 7 Principles of Learning from the OECD. In my journey to learn how to incorporate Indigenous knowledge into my practice, I found that the OECD has also looked into how to support Indigenous students.

This article outlines how educators can align their practice with what Indigenous students are reporting is important to them. Indigenous students are reporting that they would like to see schools that:

• Care about them and who they are as Indigenous people.
  • Expect them to succeed in education.
  • Help them to learn about their cultures, histories, and languages.

Therefore, schools should include practices that include:

• Extra support for students: Finding ways to change the experiences of individual students goes a long way.
  • Engaging families: Mutually respectful relationships between schools and parents can have significant benefits for students.
  • Monitoring and reporting: Tracking progress with data helps educators and families understand where progress is being made.

Teaching to Indigenous students should include teaching in a holistic manner that promotes well-being, participation, engagement, and achievement.

This article also includes links to other resources located in the OECD library that provide information on how to incorporate Indigenous education in your practice.

Reference

Supporting Success for Indigenous Students. OECD. (2017). https://www.oecd.org/education/Supporting-Success-for-Indigenous-Students.pdf.

One comment

1. Thank you for sharing this, Tyler!
    While aimed at K-12, I think the same principles can be used for post secondary students as well. I think there should be greater partnership between secondary and post secondary institutes to start supporting students in the transition from senior secondary to post secondary – like a pre-health program that some school districts have. Great find! Thank you!